Chapter 5 : Discovery

Edd POV

I parked Kevin's old bicycle at the edge of the lake. I saw two figures standing under a lamppost next to the bridge on the opposite side of the lake. I could just barely make out a hat on one of the figure's head in the light. I started walking towards them hoping that one of them was Kevin.

As I got closer, the figure turned to the side and  red hair flashed in the light. It was definitely  Kevin. But why was he out here? And who was the person standing next to him? I hurried across the bridge, careful not to draw attention to myself.

I made it to the end of the bridge and ducked behind the cement border. I peeked around the corner just far enough to where I could see them.
"Do you think he might know?"
Nat? Why were they meeting out here?
"I hope not. You don't understand how much it killed me not to say anything today. I'll have to do it soon though. I don't want him to accidentally find out."
Find out what?

"Dude. I told you what to do..." A plane drowned out the rest of Nat's sentence. Kevin sighed and said something in response.
"...you know you're the only I could ever love."
"Kevin, do you really mean that?" Nat wrapped his arms around Kevin's neck.
He grabbed Nat's waist and leaned in. "Of course I do. I would never lie to you."

My heart sank. Was Nat the reason Kevin had been ignoring me lately? Had they grown that close at school?
I felt myself stand up. My mind was racing. I couldn't think straight anymore. Five years of my life had been spent with a liar. A cheater. Why? Why would he hurt me like this?

"Hey Kev, we've got company."

Kevin POV

I turned around and saw Edd walking towards us, tears running down his face.
"Edd! How much of that did you hear?"
"Enough."
"Babe listen, this isn't how I wanted to tell you but since you heard us, I guess I have to do this now."

He was within arm's length of me now. I reached out and pulled him into a hug.
"Edd, you mean so much to me. W-"
"SHUT UP!"
He glared at me. Pure anger filled his eyes.
"How long has this been going on?"
"What are you talking about?"
"What am I talking about?! This Kevin! You ignored me all semester and now you're  sneaking around with Nat!"
"I needed to discuss something urgent with him."

"Oh, really? I saw you Kevin. You were just holding him."
"Shit. Is that what he saw?"
"Edd, I'm not cheating on you. There's nothing going on between me and Nat."
"Don't lie to me Kevin." His voice was barely above a whisper now. He pulled away and took a step back.
"I'm not lying!" I grabbed his hand.
"What were you trying to hide from me then?"

I wanted so badly to tell him but I knew he was too angry to believe me.
"I- This isn't the place to talk about it. Please just believe me Edd, you're overreacting. Try to calm down."

"Calm down? Calm down?! You just told him he's the only one you love, Kevin! Are you telling me that I just imagined that?!"
Fuck.
"You didn't imagine it but I swear, Babe, there's nothing going on between-" There was a sharp sting on my cheek.
"GO FUCK YOURSELF KEVIN!"

I don't know what shocked me more: the slap or Edd's swearing. He was almost halfway across the bridge before Nat brought me back to reality.
"Dude, go get him! Give it to him now before it's too late!"
He slipped the small box into my hand and I took off running after my pissed off boyfriend.

"Edd! Wait! Please!"