~6~

I woke up and looked over at the clock. I was back home and comic-con had ended. Happy birthday to me. I sighed playing with my fingers. I don't want to go downstairs. They all know it's my birthday. I don't want anyone celebrating. I want my mom to be here. I want to spend the day with my mom taking me ice-skating with the money she's been saving for weeks just for me. I want to go and enjoy myself and have her connections come bring us cake and all my friends to bring me presents because that the one time of year I allow anyone to spend money on me. I don't want to go downstairs where my mom isn't there to tell me that she loves me and that while we don't have a lot we have each other and that was enough. I buried myself deeper under the covers. I thought more about my mom and all my past birthdays with her. Pretty soon I knew I needed to go downstairs so I took in a deep breath and got out of bed. I walked into the bathroom. I was crying and I hadn't even noticed. I washed my face and then put my hair in a braid, threw on a cardigan over the cami I was wearing since it showed my bare arms, and walked downstairs with my fuzzy pajama pants swooshing.

"Morning birthday girl." Gen said smiling.

"Morning." I said. Jared came in smiling.

"Good morning." He said pecking his wife on the lips.

"What do you want to do today? Today it's all about you." Gen said to me.

"I don't want to do anything. We don't need to celebrate." I said.

"Of course we do sweetie it's your birthday!" Gen exclaimed. I shrugged.

"What do you think we should do?" I asked.

"We could go pick up your old friends and go to the mall or something." she said.

"I only have like two friends." I said.

"So we go pick them up and do something." Gen said with a smile.

"We can all go ice-skating." Jared suggested.

"No." I said instantly and harshly. They both looked at me surprised. I sighed.

"Sorry. It's just- my mom took me ice-skating every year for my birthday." I said. They frowned.

"I'm sorry. You must miss her." Jared said. I nodded.

"More then anything." I said. I felt a tear run down my cheek.

"Just... Give me a second." I said getting up and rushing to my room. I slammed the door and ran to my bed. I buried my head into it and sobbed as hard as I could. I cried and cried and cried.

Jared's POV:

I watched shocked as Zoey quickly moved away from us. I cringed when I heard a door slam. I looked over at Gen who was frowning sadly.

"Poor thing." she said. Thomas came down.

"Why is Zoey crying?" He asked. Gen and I shared a look.

"She's just having a rough morning." Gen replied. I nodded and Gen gestured at me with her eyes to go check on her. I headed that way with hesitation. I know that Zoey has spent all of her life hating the idea of me and I know that her mom helped fuel that hate. I also know she hasn't completely forgiven me she's just trying to be nice and civilized. I also know she's hiding something. I don't know what and I don't want to push or ask at all. At least not yet. Gen forgave me but she was pretty angry when she found out.

Flashback

The kids were at my parents house and I was in my room getting ready for a party when the phone rang. It stopped fairly quickly so I assumed Gen had picked it up. I listened to her side. (I'm going to add in what the social worker said but Jared can't hear that part)