Chapter 34: The hospital

Start from the beginning

I like him? Maybe it was because he saved me.

'No, Lauren. You've liked him a lot before that. And this I do know. I was always right here.'

Stop talking, please. You're making me more nervous.

'You needed to know the truth. You need to know it now. And I am telling you that you've liked him for long before that. Don't you feel how I practically jump out of your chest when you see him, or when he stands close to you or when his hand accidentally brushes against your hand. Don't try to fight it. Just go with the flow.'

You're making me nervous.

At this moment, Kyle and Laura rushed in. Laura was crying, her face damp with tears.

"Where's my son?" she asked Lauren.

"He's in there." she pointed to the doors. "They didn't let me go in. I just wanted to see if he was okay. After all, he's in there because of me."

Laura paused abruptly and turned to her. "What do you mean, he's here because of you?"

"Some random guys were following us and they wanted to get me, but Landon, being the gentleman he is, protected me from them. And the main thug pulled out a knife and threatened Landon, but Landon stood his ground." Tears started running down Lauren's cheeks again. "On the last try to get to me, the thug stabbed Landon on the side. He was laying there, and his shirt was stained with blood. I don't want anything to happen to him, Daddy."

Kyle pulled Lauren into his arms. She calmed down a little, but she pulled from his father's embrace and turned to Laura. "I'm so sorry, Laura. I'm so sorry. He's not supposed to be here. Maybe I should have gone with the thug. That way Landon wouldn't be here."

Laura saw that Lauren was hurting, that she genuinely felt guilt and instantly told her that she was wrong. "No, sweetie. It wouldn't have been better because we wouldn't know where you were and Landon would be the one to tell your father that you were gone. He would be hurting as much as you are right now."

Then Laura hugged Lauren. Laura noticed how worried Lauren was and it broke her heart. Just hearing that Lauren felt guilty for what happened to Landon, made Laura's heart ache.

She needed to know what was going on with her son. She needed to know because she felt that if someone didn't tell her soon, her whole world was just going to stop and she wouldn't be able to make it move again. If something happened to her son, Laura would die. She already lost her husband, it would definitely kill her to lose a son.

"I'm so sorry, Laura." Lauren kept repeating. "I'm so sorry."

It was obvious that this was nobody's fault. "Please, Lauren. This wasn't your fault. Don't worry about it. Well, I know you're worried, but you don't have to feel guilty at all. None of this was your fault."

"Laura-- I can't stop feeling like everything was my fault. I should have told him to stay at the restaurant. We went there, but it was too crowded. So we decided to leave amd keep walking. I should have convinced him to stay."

"There was no way you could have known that this was going to happen."

Kyle walked in and hugged Lauren again. It was his duty to be comforting Lauren. He was Lauren's father. "Laura's right, baby girl. You didn't know this was going to happen. I know you didn't want this to happen, but you can't blame yourself for it."

Lauren looked up at her father and she saw that he was worried. He was probably worried about both Landon and her. All she wanted was to find out if Landon was okay.

Laura and Lauren looked from left to right every time a nurse or a doctor passed by. They wanted someone to talk to them about it, but nobody was coming their way. The desperation and anxiety that coursed through both Laura and Lauren was killing them.