4 - How Reading Essays & Writing Essays Could Help

Academic language. Those two words have become incredibly useful to me over the last three years. This will probably turn into a rant at some stage but oh well. Writing non-fiction is good when you want to write fiction. There are certain skills you pick up. For instance, I didn't write fiction for years, I wrote essays, so academic writing was drummed into me - by this I mean the conventions of academic writing. 

The more essays you write, the better your writing. 

The main aim of writing is to express your thoughts/ideas in a clear/engaging way. The reader does not want to read waffle/flowery language. Your writing is an expression of your values. I'd even go as far as to say it is an expression of YOU.

Write as though you're speaking to a good friend. 

Write as though you are explaining something to a beginner.

Write with flair and confidence.

I'll tell you what ages a story - pop culture references/fashion brands. Just no. You want your story to be timeless - many people don't understand this. Some people even go as far as to name their characters after singers/celebrities. This is tasteless. 

Also, academic texts are useful. They're boring, dull and tedious, but you'll find yourself writing like an academic after a while. 

If you immerse yourself in non-fiction, your fiction writing skills will improve considerably.

-

Do you enjoy reading non-fiction? :)