5 - Character Names

"A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet." ☺

Not quite. 😕

Character names are important in every story, but when I've read some books on here (and outside) I've noticed disturbing trends.

1) Boys/Male names which sound/look the same. A book I was reading on WP broke this rule. Two of the male love interests were called Archer and Ryder. I still can't distinguish them because they sound the same and the writer didn't bother to give them much of a personality. But I think Archer is the school's badboy (😣) and Ryder is the school's jock (although when he's first introduced, there's no physical description of him which complicates matters. To top it off, the leading lady/whiney girl is referred by her surname Grey. Now I don't have an issue with this but we later find out her name is "Smelliot Elliot" or Elliot Grey. Just no. 😐😦)

Also, avoid names that are so similar you can add/substract a letter and it turns into the same name.

E.g. Two characters in the same book were called Ben and Bea. And if that wasn't enough two other characters (A couple) were called Cameron and Cammie/Camilla. 😨😨😨😐 This isn't cute, it's just lazy. There are baby name books/websites out there. Make use of them.

2) Too many unisex names are bad. They confuse reader, don't appear edgy or modern.

3) Names that sound crazy or have negative associations. E.g. Madeline/Madison/You get the idea.

4) Names which sound ridiculous put together.

E.g. Long syllable-long syllable name. E.g. Esmeralda Butterworth.

Or

Short syllable-short syllable name. E.g. Tim Simm

Aim to strike a good balance. E.g. short-Long or long-short. E.g. Maureen Smith (I know, boring name but it's hard trying to think of a name on the spot).

5) Avoid unpronouncable names. Make the reader's job easy by choosing names their eyes won't skim over. And no--I don't think fantasy writers are excempt from this rule.

6) Names are indicative of the mood/atmosphere you want to evoke in a story, so don't call your lead character Barbie Hilton if you're writing a crime novel. As soon as the reader encounters an odd name, it will take them straight out of the story.

7) Standard names with weird spellings. E.g. Alys over Alice. Or Dyanna over Dianna.

8) Pretentious/quirky names. E.g. Sherazade (I don't think I spelled that right), Bathsheba, Ophelia etc. No, I don't think you're well read if you choose names like these. It looks like you're trying too hard 🐩🐩

Summary: choose names which are different, harmonious and suit the mood of your story. :)

-
What are the worse names you've come across in a book?

How do you think of your character names?