~

            Friday went by really quick, and we found out that Mrs. Welling, the English teacher, had only been a temporary replacement. She was only filling the gap until they could find a real teacher to take Liam’s place. So, on Friday when Louis told me they found a new teacher, I was more than excited, running off to the English room with Louis’s hand in mine. When we stepped inside I smiled, because the new teacher was a very fit and tall guy, probably around Liam’s age. He had smile lines by his lips and dark hair that was styled really nicely. If I wasn’t in love with Liam, this guy would totally grab my attention. I then doubted that any of the girls in our class would be able to pay attention to the actual lesson.

            “Wow,” Louis chuckled, “This school really knows how to pick insanely hot English teachers don’t they? First Liam, and now this?”

            I laughed and shook my head, because this guy was good looking, but nowhere as near as attractive and seductive as Liam. Louis and I took our seats in the middle of the classroom like normal. We were early, like always, and the new teacher turned around and gave us a big smile.

            “Hello,” He said, “You two are early,”

            “We always are,” Louis sung, smiling widely and patting my shoulder, “So, are you the new teacher?”

            The man nodded, “Yes, I am. My name is Max Hawkins, but I believe you have to call me Mr. Hawkins, isn’t that right?” He chuckled to himself.

            For some reason my brain started churning. Why did the name Max strike a chord with me? I searched my brain. I had never really known a Max before, but why did it seem like a name that I had been acquainted with? Wait a minute. Liam’s ex was named Max. I squinted and looked at the man in front of me. Surely this wasn’t the same Max that Liam had dated after he graduated. That’s crazy. What are the odds of that?

            “You okay, Zee?” Louis asked me. I nodded and bit my lip.

            “I’ll tell you later,” I said, patting his shoulder and then getting my notebook and pencil out.

            Soon class started and Mr. Hawkins launched into a really great lesson about classic English literature. I found myself immersed into his words. He was a really great teacher, a hell of a lot better than Mrs. Welling. Gah, she still gave me the creeps just thinking about her. And then it had me thinking about Liam, because he had been such a good teacher too, and I missed him like crazy. I wondered if Mr. Hawkins would allow me to use my newspaper submissions as my essays for his class like Liam did. Maybe I should ask him.

            The bell rang and everyone filed out. Louis gave me a weird look when I told him to go on without me, but he left anyway. I made my way up to Mr. Hawkins slowly.

            “Ah, Mr. Malik, is it?” He smiled at me. I nodded and smiled back. “Is there something I can help you with Zayn?”

            “Yeah, uh, our previous teacher in this subject, Mr. Payne, he let me use my submissions to the school newspaper as my essays for his class because I am already kind of swamped with school work and such. I was wondering if you would be okay to do that also,” I said.

            “Oh, Mr. Payne,” Mr. Hawkins smiled, “He was a good friend of mine a year or so ago,”

            My heart started pounding, because what are the odds that my new English teacher was the guy who had dated my old English teacher and my boyfriend?