Chapter 1: Introduction

My eyes were wide awake ready for the new day to begin. An ordinary day. Nothing out the new, no excitement. However, summer was almost over. My last first day of University was approaching. I know it's strange but I can't help my self but be sad. My university experience though stressful, has been four of the best years of my life. I've made the most amazing friends, and one year closer to getting my degree in Criminal Law at one of the best universities in London! Being argumentative really comes in handy during court and making cases, I guess my sass pays off at times.

I am the eldest child but with a younger sister; Sofia and two twin brothers; Navid and Zaid, so growing up was never boring! I liked the size of our family, it wasn't too small nor too big. Perfect. Although we've had our epic fights we always know that we have each other's back. Sofia was just about to start her 2nd year of Pharmacy at the same university as me. I would never see her as our campuses are literally on separate sides of the city.

Reluctant to get out of my warm covers into the cold on my way to the shower, I always snuggle in my bed for an extra 10 minuets to troll on my phone. Checking social media, emails, and messages. Just a couple of my daily memes sent to me by my best friend Zafrina. If it's one this I can count on her for it's her meme game, she knew how to make me laugh for sure. I've known Zafrina for as long as I could remember, our mothers are the bestest friends hence why they made it destined for us to be best friends also. We've made it our New Years resolution this year to run around the city park at 7am at least once a week. Only exception was Ramadan. Zaf has also got only one year of studying left until she can do Primary teaching. The thought of teaching moaning little toddlers gave me the shivers. But she truly found her calling, she loves it so much. She always has the cutest stories to tell after her placements. I am happy for her, seeing her so passionate about "educating our future leaders" was one of her traits that I loved.

After finally getting out of bed I went to do my wudu. Washing my face, hands and feet so I could pray Fajir but I had to be quick, only 30 minuets left! Over the years my hijab styles have been both hilarious and embarrassing. And trust me, bad hijab days ARE a thing! I like to think of myself to be quite stylish, I love fashion, accessories and make up! But obviously with modest restrictions; nothing short or tight, otherwise my mother wouldn't let me out the house. I'm working on my faith and I want to be closer to God. It's a work in progress so far I guess but isn't that the case for everyone?

I got ready in my Nike joggers, black hoodie and somehow managed to wrap my head in a turban style hijab so it didn't hurt my ears putting earphone in. I didn't like showing my neck or my side burns (which were embarrassingly long) so my hoodie was zipped right up to cover and pulled the sides of my scarf to come lower. It was messy but I couldn't care less about how I looked while running. I grabbed my iPod, tucked it into my arm pocket and went down stairs to the kitchen. Only mum was awake reciting the Quran like she usually does after her morning prayer. She was used to me running out early mornings and is surprised Zafrina and I kept to our resolutions this late in the year. I set out all my pre-cut fruit and veg in my smoothie maker and added some almond milk and natural greek yoghurt. I'm not going to lie, it tasted disgusting. Thinking of how good it was for my body was the only thing helping me finish it. I opened the front door to greet Zaf. She was also dressed similarly but she had a little more colour in her outfit. I took a picture of our matching Nikes Free Runs to upload on Instagram, hers were white and surprise surprise mine were black.

"You ready?" She asked. I nodded and we started running to the park. Zafrina was just saying how excited she is about her new placement this year. We jogged lightly until we reached the park. I always had one earphone in my right ear with the music volume lowered, while Zaf would run beside me on my left.

"Are you going to the Khan's house later on?" Zaf changed the subject, I almost forgot that was today! My incessant mother is making me go to the Khans tonight for some party for old people to gossip at. I didn't know much about the Khans only that the parents are good friends with mine. They had a decent sized family, a few brother and sisters I heard. I've never actually met them though.

"Probably, though I wonder if I can get out of it if..."

"NO" She interrupted me "You cannot leave me alone to fend off those prying aunties who want to get us married off"

"They're not that bad" I chuckled

"Yeah they are. Every single time they ask: So Zafrina. How old are you now? Have you thought about marriage and future plans?" She imitated hilariously.

"By the way I can't make coffee with the girls Tuesday, I got a gig"

"Oh cool, where?"

"Some wedding at City Hall" I sighed. Summer was so busy for the wedding season and people just LOVE pianists. It was a good way of making money and I really did like playing the piano, it started off with my mother forcing me into piano lessons and then I started getting good. Like real good, good enough to play professionally. The wedding on Tuesday was going to be my last one for a while. I really had to concentrate on uni this year and get it over with.

We started slowing down after a few laps around the park. It was freezing cold outside but I was too warm to notice. I could feel the blood rush to the surface of the skin on my cheeks. We stopped by our usual breakfast bar. Zaf and I love this place because they do everything Halal. Finding a restaurant or cafe that sells all halal breakfast was difficult to find, as most places claim they have halal meat doesn't always mean they store, prepare or cook in a halal way. I mean what's the point in me having chicken that's been grilled along side pork? London was relatively good for halal options though, but this place was our favourite. We both got chicken frittatas to eat on our way back, I bit into my frittata almost burning the roof of my mouth but I was too hungry to notice, the smell was delicious. 

"Okie I'll see you tonight, and just don't wear stripes." She commanded.

"Alrighty then" I went into my house at 9 and surprise surprise the twins were still asleep. Honestly I don't even know how long they could sleep uninterrupted, they've never hit their maximum. I felt it was appropriate to wake them up pouring some cold water down their backs. They both share a room but it is the biggest room in the house. I hated going into their room cause it was a typical 17 year old boys room. A pig's stye. And the smell... don't even get me started. The walls were an ivory colour with some study notes scattered, they really need to make more of an effort into their studies. Two beds on either sides of the room accompanied by two computers and desks behind the beds. And one giant window covering the beautiful sunrise with blacked out curtains. I walked into their rooms with two cups of ice cold water and just splashed it on them. That woke them up instantly. Zaid was the quickest to react, he lifted me up and then pinned me down. Navid joined shortly and pilled up. I couldn't stop laughing my stomach started hurting.

"What is all this noise?" Sofia barged in with a sleeping mask on her forehead still in her pyjamas. "You woke me up. I was still allowed another 23 minuets of sleep GOD" She stormed out.

"It's Khadijah" Laughed Navid as they both got off me. I drew their heavy curtains letting some sunlight into their deprived room, they moaned covering their eyes.

"You boys have work with Baba in 20 minuets. Get ready" I said as I left their room. They've been interning at Dad's business for the past few weeks every weekend. They've become too privileged in live and needed to learn the value of hard earned money according to Baba. If it means they're out the house 6 hours a week I was happy.

I went into my room to get ready for a nice cold shower. The water felt good against my back. I wanted to stay there for hours, just me within my thoughts and the water cooling me down. I got dressed into basic sweats. I hadn't planned much for today. My summer internship at Norton Valentine had finished last week, and university doesn't start until next week. I had planned on getting ahead on some of the reading though.

I snuggled back into my bed my head in a shower turban and my laptop out. I turned the fairy lights behind me on. While I was waiting for my reading to load I was checking up on my social media. I saw that a private account on Instagram had requested to follow me. @Kol_K, we had a few mutual including the twins so I just presumed he was one of their little friends. I decided to decline the follow, the twins friends are always flirting with me and my instagram was only for people I knew personally. I didn't mind having males on it, but as long as I knew them. However my Snapchat was strictly girls only, this gives me a chance to take snaps of my without my hijab when I want to show it off. The profile picture didn't show much, just an outfit picture of a suit, and his bio simply said سابر which is Sabr, meaning patience in Arabic. I didn't think much else of this so I went onto twitter and procrastinated a little more.