Chapter 4

Diane POV
It's been 27 hours, 52 minutes and 20 seconds since I left Cleo's pack house, after accepting Andrew's contact information and I was busy working like crazy in our office building. I was glued to my computer working on my paperwork like a mad woman from hell trying to get it all done when one of my supervisors came into my office.

"What is it?" I growled in a low tone as I continued to type furiously through all of the documents.

"You're scaring the other workers." The clipped tone of my only female boss, and a vampire at that,  snaps at me as she taps get more impatient upon my desktop.

"Yeah, well, I'm trying to get this all done... I... I have a promise to keep." I reply gruffly and glare at her as she raises a delicate brow at me, "I kinda found my Mate..."

"Your Mate!?! Oh my good, where? When?" She asks me in excitement.

"At Cleo's... during her baby shower." I reply slowly as I gauge her reaction.

"You met your Mate... at your sister's baby shower?" She tried to hold back the laughter, but she couldn't and it only drove me to growling at her... and that only made her laugh all the harder.

I continued to do my work as I waited for her to finish with her odd hysterics, but I knew that the moment she was done that she would want to start questioning who my mate was... which I fully expected when she finally did stop laughing.

"So what questions do you want to ask me about him, because I'm only gonna answer three of them, so make them count." I frown at her as I cut her off when I saw her mouth open to speak from the corner of my eye as I was printing off another set of papers and placing them within a folder before putting the folder in it's place among the rest of the work that I'd already completed.

"What's his name and his current position?" She asks me quickly.

"Andrew and he's an Alpha." I mutter as I feel my wolf stir at the mention of our Mate's name.

"Which pack?" She asks me in shock and I know it's because of his title being that of an Alpha.

"The Crescent Moon Pack." I reply and I see her turn thoughtful for a moment.

"Does this mean that you're not going to be working for us anymore?" She asks me in a soft voice after a short pause and I had known that it was going to be because she was seriously thinking about what she wanted her last question to be, because it could very well have been one that shut me up completely... this one however, opened up a door to a whole other set of questions that I'd have to answer to.

"Yes, I'll be leaving the Department... that's why there's a ton of paperwork for you to do." I reply as I reset my password on my work laptop in order for her to use, turned it off, closed it and handed it to her as I then grabbed my last box of belongings from my desk and began walking down the hall toward the elevators.

"But you basically founded this department! What about the mission you told me and my niece Ivory, that you'd help out with?" My boss, sorry make that former boss, asks me as she follows me down the hall with the laptop in her hands.

"I don't go back on my word, I've already emailed Ivory in code, letting her know that this is going to be my last mission. She is to message me, keep me updated through you and I will help her when she needs my help." I inform her and I see the relief on her face because I know she's worried about her young, but very talented niece, "After this mission though, I'm going to need to focus on being the best Luna I can be... I maybe messed up personally, but now I've got a pack to think about above myself."

"Well... at least you're working on getting along with others now." My former boss grumbles as we stand at the elevator waiting for one to come get me, "Tell your Mate that this is your last gig... just try not to go into ALL of the details for safety reasons."

I give her a look that tells her that I already knew that, but she just merely rolls her eyes at me as the elevator doors open up and we both step in.

"Are we allowed to call you in for counsel and/or for advice on future missions?" She asks me once we got to the parking level that I was on.

"I'll have to discuss that with my Mate." I tell her as I place the box on my passenger seat of my truck and then make sure that the address he had given me was correctly placed within my GPS.

"I completely understand, email me and let me know once you two have discussed the matter." She tells me with a smile as she holds her arms out to me.

I give in, allowing her to hug me for the first time ever, because hey I was leaving and hugging someone other than Cleo wouldn't kill me... I hoped. She let go of me quickly, clearly proud that I was making some progress with my casual physical contacts with other people and then she dashed back to catch the elevator back into the building. I took in a deep breath as I looked at the haul that I had attached to my truck (it had the rest of my belongings, which weren't much, and my motorcycle within it) and let it out carefully once I was sitting behind my steering wheel with myself locked in and feeling safe.

Are you going to start driving? - My wolf asks me as she sounded amused by my stalling as I stared at the route on my GPS after having just sent Andrew a text saying that I was on my way.

"I'll start driving when I'm good and ready to." I mutter to her as I start up my truck and sit there regulating my breathing for another moment.

You're still scared of our Mate. - She grumbled at me and she felt my shock at her words.

"I'm not afraid of him." I whisper softly as I glare at my steering wheel for a moment.

Then what is it you're afraid of? - She questioned me and I thought about it for a moment.

My wolf was the other half of me female-wise... Andrew and his wolf were the two halves that made up our soulmate. Basically our perfect other half. I put my truck in gear and started driving on the fastest route that would take me to the address that he had given me... and I answered my wolf at the same time.

"I'm afraid that my past will come back to haunt us..." I admitted to my wolf, because if I couldn't be honest with myself completely, then I couldn't be honest with anyone else... not even my Mate, "and I'm afraid of myself."