Crank

Newt whispered "Wear your hood up and stay behind me" I did as he said, tucking my short hair behind my ears and quickly pulling my hood up.

Jorge. The leader of the Cranks. Huh, that's new to hear. What is? That cranks work on a hierarchy status. Is it really that hard to believe? I asked, but she didn't reply. Oh well, thanks for the chat.

But I had to admit, I was surprised as well. I mean, we've seen different kinds of Cranks. The only normal ones were the ones wearing cloaks, but the rest were crazy.

After Jorge jumped down, more cranks followed. The Gladers had a natural reaction, which was to huddle up as quickly as they could and stand their ground. I hid behind Newt, peeking from behind his shoulder to watch the cranks.

Jorge strode forward towards us, eyeing every single one as he passed by "A group of boys lost in the Scorch, tell me, has any of you turned into one of us yet?" Minho struggled to keep standing, "Lucky for us, no" he grinned.

Jorge looked at Minho from head to toe "And I suppose you're the leader of this group of boys?" Minho stood up straight "You bet I am"

Jorge clapped his hands and grinned "Excellent, mind if I ask, where did you come from?" With a glance at Thomas, Minho answered "None of your business"

This wiped off the grin from the crank's face "Oh really?" He chuckled before smiling once more.

"Then, who are you?" Thomas answered, "We'd like to know the same thing". Jorge's smile wavered, "I've clearly introduced myself, unlike you children, who trespass on other people's property!"

"Technically, we didn't know that anyone would be living in this abandoned building" Minho defended, Thomas sighed "Look, we're just here to rest and then we're gone"

"To where exactly? It doesn't seem like you kids know where you're going" Minho muttered "Far away from your ugly as- umph!" Thomas silenced him by elbowing him in the stomach as Jorge watched with amused eyes.

"Just give us one day, then we're going to leave" Jorge raised a brow "Then a fee must be paid" Thomas looked at the gladers, "But we don't have anymore food or water" the crank leader sighed.

The cranks behind him started moving closer, swinging their weapons around, hoping to hit something. "You need to pay and I wasn't talking about food"

His gaze swept across the room until it landed on mine, "No, something much more... precious. You've even kept something from me, a gem. And if you want to leave here alive, then hand her over."

My grip on Newt's shirt tightened as I pulled myself closer to his back. "We don't know what you're talking about" Minho defended, Thomas shifted until he blocked Newt and I from his line of sight.

-

Aris, Clint and Frypan slowly surrounded Lana, shielding her from all sides. Jorge chuckled, his crank minions slowly approaching the injured gladers. "Don't test me, Hermano. I know a girl when I see one."

He frowned when he noticed that Minho and the gladers weren't going to give Lana up "Get the girl" The cranks jumped into action. The gladers fought the cranks as they dared to come closer, Minho lunged at their leader, knocking him into the ground.

Somewhere in the back of Lana's mind, she could clearly hear the voice say, You should've kept the bat. She cursed, none of them had weapons to use except for a couple of pans, rope, and knives. The gladers were far too busy to notice that their leader had been knocked down.

"Give me the girl or this boy dies" Jorge shouted, everyone turned to see Minho on the ground with a gun pointed at the temple of his skull. Thomas and Newt were about to charge at him, Jorge removed the safety. Trust them, the voice said to her.