Chapter 19

You grabbed Bones's hand and whispered "Run." You dragged him out the back door towards the barn. You could hear your dad crashing through the house; you knew he was going to get his gun. "Run faster! He's going to get his gun!" you said. "What! You don't think I'm running as fast as I can!" he said, obvious fear in his eyes. You looked behind you to the house and saw your dad coming out of the back door. "You'll run faster now!" you yelled. He got the message, looked back, and ran faster. You pulled him into the barn and up into the loft behind the piles of hay. "Don't move." you whispered, crouching down so you could just see the entrance. He was curled up into a ball and whisper-yelled "Do you really need to tell me that?" "Yeah, I do. Now shut up!" you said back.

Your dad came in but he didn't have a gun. Your mom was trailing him explaining how he had connections to you. "I don't care, he was kissing my little girl! And I should have at least met him before they started dating." you heard your dad say. Your mom crossed her arms, took a defensive stance, and said "We have been out of her life for 4 years. I wouldn't be surprised if she was pregnant. We should have kept in-touch with her, I know we should have. But we didn't, and she has the right to cut us out of her life."

You climbed down out of the loft without anyone noticing you. "Will you stop?" you finally spoke up. Your parents looked at you and spoke in unison. "Yes." they said. You nodded and said "Good. Can Bo- Leonard come out now?" Your dad looked to your mom, she nodded, and your dad said "Yes, but I want answers. Okay?" "Okay. Bones, you can come out now." you said, and looked up to where he was hiding. You saw his head look over the edge, disappear, and him climb down the latter. He walked up to beside you and you grabbed his hand, picking the hay out of his hair with your free hand.

You both looked like a mess, you knew this as soon as you climbed down the latter. As you walked back to the house, Bones started picking the hay out of your hair. Your dad looked around and said "No no, hands off." Bones looked at the ground, obviously ashamed. When you got back to the house, the four of you sat down at the table.

"So." your dad started. "When did you meet?" he asked. You spoke up and asked "The first time or second time?" "Huh?" he said, obviously confused. "We met, we were separated, we met again, we got together." you said, not trusting Bones to speak. Your dad nodded, processing what he just heard. "How did you meet the second time? And I want to hear from him." Your dad said, cutting you off from answering. "Well, sir, I'm a doctor, and at the time we met, I was working in the on-campus Medbay. Y/F/N came in with a broken ankle, and I was the doctor on call. Then we met again aboard the Enterprise." Bones said, confident of his answer. "And how old are you? Have you been married before? Do you have any kids?" your dad asked. Bones's face dropped. "I'm going to be 27 in a week. I have been married once, and I have a daughter from that marriage. Her name is Joanna, and she is four." he said. You could tell he rather wouldn't have answered. "Why did you come with her?" your dad asked, trying to make him as uncomfortable as possible. Bones said "I was at my house in Georgia looking for the deed, and Y/F/N came with me. While we were there, she got your message, and we came straight from there to here."

Your dad asked about 10 more questions, including what the two of you did while at the house, before your mom finally got him to stop. She dragged him out of the kitchen and into the living room to talk. When they were out of sight, Bones put his head down on the table and sighed. You rubbed his back and said "I know that was difficult, but don't be so dramatic." He sat back up and said "I'm not trying to be dramatic, but when you think you're going to be shot and you run like your life depends on it, you get tired eventually." "Well, in that case, come with me. And keep quiet, you're already in trouble as it is." you said, and grabbed his hand and lead him up to your room. You quietly shut the door and slowly climbed onto your bed, waving Bones over and handing him a pillow. "Take your shoes off." you said. You took your shoes off and laid down. You got comfortable and felt Bones climb in next to you, putting an arm around your waist and pulling you closer to him. His chest was on your back, and you felt protected; like he always had your back.

You woke up to your bedroom door opening. You opened only one eye and saw Sarah walk in with her teddy bear by its hand. She poked you in the arm and you opened both eyes. "Hey Sarah. What's up?" you said, smiling at her. "Are you and him girlfriend and boyfriend?" she asked, genuine curiosity in her eyes. "Yeah, we are." you said, sitting up and patting the bed, inviting her up. She climbed up and sat looking at you, hugging her teddy bear. You looked over at Bones and ran your fingers through his hair, smoothing it out. "Are you in love with him?" she asked. You smiled down at Bones sleeping head and said "Yeah, I am." "Are you going to get married?" Sarah asked. You had met lots of little kids before, but she was blunt. "Maybe. Why? Do you want him as a brother-in-law?" you asked her. You smiled when she hid most of her face behind her teddy bear and nodded her head yes.

Bones sat up and said "I'd love to have you as a niece. I have a daughter that's your age. I bet she would love to meet you." Sarah crawled into your lap and whispered into your ear "I like him. He is a keeper." You giggled, and she crawled out of your lap and ran downstairs. "What did she say?" Bones asked. You smiled, kissed him, and said "You're a keeper."