Chapter 33: A Walk to disaster

Start from the beginning

Lauren laughed at his enthusiasm. "Of course. Come on."

They walked together over to the bleachers and sat down. As she was sitting down, she heard the whispers that many of the people there were saying. The people were mostly teenagers, but she could already tell that they were being cruel.

Another young man, who was very handsome, approached her and said, "Hey, new girl. I see you like hanging out with the blind guy."

She turned to him with venom in her eyes. "The 'blind guy' as you call him, has a name."

"Ooh, feisty. Just the way I like 'em."

Without thinking, she slapped him across the face. This turned out to be a mistake. The once smiling teenager was filled with anger and lunged at Lauren. She was frozen in her spot and she couldn't do anything. Instead, she braced herself for the contact.

Out of nowhere, she heard a scream and she opened her eyes. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. The guy who she had just slapped was on the floor and Landon was standing above him, saying something.

"You should really keep your hands and feet to yourself. And if she smacked you, it was because you deserved it."

Lauren went up behind Landon. He felt her and immediately calmed down. He took her hand and they walked away. He turned to her and then he said, "Sorry. I didn't know that was going to happen. He's probably going to get back at me for that when we're in school."

Lauren gasped. She couldn't believe that he risked his own safety to defend her. "Landon, I'm sorry. Maybe I should go back and apologize to the guy."

Lauren began to turn around but Landon stopped her with an arm on her waist. "Don't go and apologize to him. Apologizing is only for those who you have actually hurt. You've only hurt his ego. Nothing major."

"You know him?" she asked.

Landon nodded.

"Who is he?"

"He was my best friend back when I could see."

"What?! Are you serious?"

Lauren nodded. "His dad and my dad were friends. So it was common sense that their kids would become friends. But as soon as he found out I was blind, he treated it like it was a disease. He quickly changed me for the popular guys, the ones who would never be bullied. He bullies me all the time, ever since the day I became fully blind."

Lauren couldn't believe it. "He's been bullying you for thirteen years?"

Landon nodded. He tells everyone things about me, things that were never true. But everyone believed him because, well, he's what girls call 'hot' and he's a popular guy."

"Trust me when I say, he is not hot."

Landon laughed. "Okay,then. I trust you."

"Good. I honestly think that you're a much better person than he'll ever be. I would never in a million years date the guy, or ever like him. I met him for a few seconds and I could already tell he was one of the bad guys."

"Yeah." he nodded, but he didn't say anything else.

They walked and walked until they reached the restaurant that had been the place of the "double date." They walked in, but it was full of people. Landon and Lauren went back outside and just started walking again.

"So...I guess we'll just walk." Lauren suggested.

"You sure?" he asked her.

"Yeah. It's fine."