Chapter 8

Emily started fidgeting, getting up and immediately sitting down again, glancing out the window then straight ahead and back to the window. Her thoughts were in such a jumble Sidney couldn't make them out.

"Emily for crying out loud will you take the bee out of your ass for two seconds and calm down?" She asked with exasperation.

"The sun will be up in twenty minutes. Can't you feel it?" Emily stressed. "We need to get under cover for the day!"

"Yes?" Sidney acknowledged the arm that rose above the heads of the seated occupants.

"I don't know what the hell is going on here but we want answers..."

"Sir," Sidney interrupted, "I understand your anxiousness but we are trying to get us all home. Please be a little more patient and I'll explain the best I can once we sort out those that require cover for the day."

No sooner had he sat down again another hand shot up, "What about the luggage compartments under the bus? They should be mostly light proof."

Emily jumped up again, "Mostly won't do. It has to be completely light proof."

Sidney made her way to the front, "Susan, please pull over. Emily and Dainton need to be under cover before sunrise and we're going to try the luggage compartment."

The bus immediately began to slow. Sidney jumped off and opened the side compartments to find them full of suitcases and bags. She sent Susan a respectful look, "Give me a hand with these on to the bus".

"Why don't you just dump them?" asked the man that wanted answers.

"Because whatever is in them may be useful later," Susan answered for her as she passed him the first two bags.

"How do you know these will be light proof?" Dainton asked, "I mean, there has to be light to test them and by then it'll be too late"

The young witch that suggested the compartments in the first place stepped forward as the last bag made it to the back of the bus, "We can fill the gaps around the doors with mud. I'll be able to set it with a little heat." In demonstration, she produced a small fireball that turned to a gentle flamethrower as she directed it to the damp ground. Steam rose as water evaporated.

Emily pushed her way to the front climbing into the small compartment, "We're out of time the sun's just about to rise. Hurry Dainton so they can close the doors!"

Several pairs of hands began scooping mud from the damp ground and smearing it around the doors. Sonia, the young witch whose name Sidney was able to pluck from her mind, sent a steady but gentle stream of flame that hissed as it set the mud, the steam quickly dispersed.

Banging the doors, Sidney attempted to rattle any loose mud free but all stayed intact. "Good job Sonia," she complemented the young girl who beamed. "You guys okay in there?" She sent to Emily and Dainton as the first rays broke the horizon.

"Yeah," Dainton yelled back, "There's not even a speck coming through"

The questions came thick and fast the second after Sidney signalled for Susan to drive on.

"Please," Sidney begged, "One at a time, you're giving me a headache. Each of you can have one question. Start from the front ... You," she pointed to Sonia, "What do you wish to know?"

"Where we are?"

"From what I can gather, a parallel world."

"How did we get here?" Mr. Impatient from the back called out.

"Wait your turn," Sidney snapped, "But as that was this young Fairy's question too I'll answer. A witch created a wormhole - a portal between our worlds - and kidnapped each of us in an attempt to stop a war between shifters and vampire of this world."

"So we're going back through the portal then?" The impatient guy called out again.

Sidney shook her head and addressed the bus, "Is he to be the spokesman for you all?" No one objected. "Fine... no we can't go back that way. The portal was destroyed after I was pulled through."

"So how do we get home?"

"That, I'm hoping, will be answered when we reach our destination." She held up her hand to stop his next barrage of questions, "All I know is, that is where we'll find a witch who may be able to replicate the spell and send us home."

"How do you plan on finding this witch? I take it you don't know where she lives."

"No I don't," Sidney sighed, "but we have mouths and we can ask."

"Why us?" he muttered, "What's so special about each of us to bring us here anyway?"

"That is one question I don't have the answer for."

She made her way to Susan after an hour asking "How are holding up? Do you want me to take over driving for a while?

Susan laughed, "So you can escape the questions? No, I'm fine for a bit longer although it would be good to know exactly where I'm driving to."

Sidney called to Dainton in his mind, Dainton wake up! Do you know the name of the town this Lana lives in?

Hmm what? Oh sorry, I think it was Port Ballin... Something or other.

"Port Ballin-something," Sidney relayed.