Chapter 1

"Three days! Three days and there haven't been any more abductions. No more clues and no sign of Sidney what-so-ever." Callie paced the demon's chambers, irritated at not having heard news or any clue in where else to look for Sidney. "I don't know what else to do. We staked out the club for the last three nights, but nothing more has happened. It was just another dead end in a long line of dead ends. The owner has done her own vanishing act. 'Unobtainable' the manager said... Argh." She stomped her foot to demonstrate her irritation.

"Have you tried calling for her?" Lucien asked, interrupting her tirade.

"Of course, but I can't make contact with her mind. I need to be closer to her or something. How can I get closer to her when I don't know where she is. It's a never ending cycle."

"Scry for her." Lucien shrugged, as if stating the obvious.

"I would if I knew what that was and how to do it."

"I have resorted to teaching a witch how to be a witch," Lucien grumbled, barely audibly. "You have a pen? You'll need the following things." He waited for her to take notes. "A map of the general area; an amethyst dowser; something belonging to the person you wish to find, preferably silver; and somewhere quiet to perform the scrying."

"Wait, back up a bit, where do I get a dowser exactly?"

Lucien put his hand to his forehead and slowly drew it down to massage his eyes. "The vampire who knows everything... " He snapped his fingers several times as he searched his memory for the name. "His name is... Stephan? Ask him, he should have one. He seems to have everything else."

"Is that it then?"

"Come back when you get everything and I'll explain the process."

Plenty of recent practice meant that the speed she was able to go between the realms was so fast, she was back in her own body in the time it took to blink.

"Sam!" she hollered, running for his study. "I'm just nipping out to Stephan's shop." She flung open the door to find Sam in deep conversation with the very man she was looking for. "Oh hi, speak of the devil. I was just about to go see you."

Stephan stood and bowed at the waist. "My lady," he greeted, straightening to air-kiss each of her cheeks. "How may I be of assistance?"

"Have you ever heard of a dowser? Witches use them for scrying."

"I have several with different stones; amethyst, onyx, moonstone and citrene. Do you have a preference?"

"Amethyst. I'll need one with amethyst please."

"Not a problem. Would you like to call for it tomorrow or should I have Aaron put it aside for you?"

"Any chance I could get it now? I need it to scry for Sidney's whereabouts."

"Well why didn't you say so?" He ushered Callie from the room, remembering Sam after he closed the study door behind him. He opened it again and stuck his head through the crack. "Sorry, I will be back in about twenty minutes."

Just over an hour later, Callie raided Sidney's bedroom for the silver item she needed. It was the easiest thing on the list as a silver necklace with a locket pendant hung in plain view on the vanity mirror. With everything she needed bundled in a small basket, she made her mental journey to Lucien's chamber.

"Lay out the map," Lucien directed. "Now wrap the pendent around your left hand. Hold the dowser in your right and spend the next ten minutes thinking of Sidney. As soon as you feel comfortable, start the pendulum swinging in a large circle over the map. Let it swing freely while you picture her face. Her whereabouts will appear if you do it right." He left her to do as he instructed.

"I've found her!" Callie screamed with excitement. "You should have seen the dowser it twirled around for a minute then wham, it shot to the map with the point right in the middle of Mount Street. I even did it again just to be sure and it was the exact same spot." She hugged Lucien. "Thank you."

Nico, good as his word, had returned after relinquishing his alpha status to his second in command. He waited by the car to drive them to the site Callie directed, he then stood watch over her as she sat in the middle of the pavement on Mount Street.

Callie closed her eyes to mentally call for Sidney. The trance left her completely vulnerable so Nico, Sam and Brian formed an unmoveable barrier to protect her.