thirty four

"jack, slow down." i say as he tugs my hand and pretty much shoves me into the car.

he slams the door shut and I know not to mess with him right now. maybe i can calm him down and talk to him when we're settled in somewhere.

"that was so unexpected. she's said a lot of shit in my lifetime, but i never thought it'd ever be something like that." he curses and all i can do is hold his hand.

if i open my mouth, he'd start yelling and saying things he'll regret later on. i don't want to trigger anything. i caress the back on his hand with my thumb, hoping he'd calm down, but he doesn't.

he remains tense during the entire time. i thought that we'd be going to one of our places, but he starts the journey toward his office. i don't touch the volume dial on the radio because he might not want to listen to music.

his brain his probably fogged up. when my mom got remarried, my brain wasn't fogged up. i was uneducated at the age of seven. i just went along with it and thought tom was a nice man. i grew up getting to know him and hating him.

the ride is short because he was going super fast. he was practically speeding down the freeway and i was scared for my life. he probably feels angry- furious actually-, hurt, and betrayed.

i walk inside behind him and he doesn't touch me at all. i really don't think he should be working with how angry he is. i don't want him to overdo himself and stress himself out.

"did you really need to shout at her and cause a scene?" i ask jack after we return at his office, trying to talk as gently as i can.

he stomps inside and then turns to glare at me, "are you kidding me? did you even hear what she said?!" he snarls, completely fuming.

"i'm sorry... i get that you're hurt, but she's doing this for herself." i tell him as softly as possible, remembering that my mom told me she did it for herself when she married another guy.

i'm not afraid he'll hit me, i'm afraid that he'll just explode and scream at me. everyone is well aware of how angry he is right now. they just don't know why.

"you don't understand." he blatantly tells me and my mouth gapes open.

you. don't. understand. my eyebrows raise and i cross my arms over my chest, scoffing. (let's go)

"you're right. maybe i don't understand because when my mom remarried, i was seven. young and stupid and i couldn't interpret anything." i snap.

his gaze goes from the floor up to me. his eyebrows pull together. his facial expression reads like he regretted everything he said.

he shakes his head apologetically, "i didn't kn-"

"i'm not done talking." i spit, suddenly feeling angry myself. "you're right, i don't understand what you're going through because you're much older than i was and you can comprehend things so much more."

he's matured and he has no right to act like a little boy about this situation, That's his mother. the only parent he has left. he bites his bottom lip, afraid to open his mouth. i just stare at him.

"i didn't mean to make you upset." he says.

"i know you didn't. you're going through everything i went through. it just happened earlier in life for me." i tell him, tears beginning to well in my eyes. "we're not all blessed with both of our parents together and healthy."