Chapter 14

Hany stretched, a soft groan escaping her parted lips. She rubbed at her sleep filled eyes before glancing in Andrew's direction. He was awake, his chocolaty brown eyes appraising her with a gentle gaze. She tilted her head at him, the look in his eyes an unfamiliar one to her. Over the course of the last couple of days she had gotten to know him quite well. She had learned that her hunch was correct. There was more underneath his beauty, it was not just skin deep.

He loved to laugh and he did it daily. He constantly smiled. And his brown, brown eyes sparkled when he did so. He always had a joke to tell or corny words of seduction to whisper. His words were often times so corny she wondered how any woman with common sense fell for such things but in the end she always succumbed with laughter. And most of all, it seemed, that he was extremely affectionate. He could never truly seem to keep his hands off of her. He would hold her hand, hug her, and kiss her cheek, her neck, her lips. He rubbed against her whenever they were close, he caressed her skin whenever he could. He gave affection with ease and she couldn't say she did not enjoy it.

"What's the matter?" She asked him curiously. He ran a hand through his hair.

"How did you end up with Mrs. Thompson?" He asked quietly.

She raised a brow, turning slightly so that she was facing him. "Are you curious about me now?"

He smirked before sitting up, the comforter sliding down his nakedness. "I'm always curious about you these days..." He mumbled quietly.

She smiled lying her cheek on a pillow. "Well, once my father died I had to fiend for myself. I was old enough to search for work and my mother had taught me everything I needed to know in the kitchen. I searched and searched but it seemed like everywhere I went I was turned down," she sighed, "I felt hopeless at that point. I was at my breaking point until I tried once more. I knocked on Mrs. Thompson's door and she answered. She had a frown on her face and a glare in her eyes but she wasn't all bad. She asked me what I wanted and I told her I wanted to be her cook. She stared at me for a moment before smirking. She told me that I was braver than most, because usually once people saw her scowl they'd run for the hills."

Andrew grinned, "But you didn't?"

She smiled, "Of course not. She was a little woman with a mean face. Her spirit was not the same. She was kind to me. She treated me more like a daughter than a hired hand. My English was awful, you know. She personally told me so. She got me a teacher and I learned how to talk proper."

Andrew laughed. "I can't imagine you speaking improper."

"Oh, it was terrible." She laughed, "I couldn't pronounce much of anything, and it was countless hours of study and reading long poems. Mrs. Thompson was always there though, listening, correcting."

"You really loved her didn't you?" Andrew asked.

Hany sighed, a broad grin appearing on her lips. "I did...I do. She was like a second mother to me. Her death was awful. I cried. And cried. But of course I realized that I couldn't just around crying for the rest of my life. It was much easier to find a job the second time around. Everyone had somehow heard of me and it all came down to who I wanted as an employer."

"Why on earth did you choose Jewel?" He said playfully.

She laughed, "Oh, stop it! Your sister is a kind woman. She's very straight forward and well, so am I. She seemed the most relatable to me and I enjoyed her company."

Silence passed between them for a while. It was a comfortable silence. Neither felt awkward.

"Hany?" Andrew said.

She looked up at him. "Hmm?"

He opened his arms, beckoning her over. "Come here."

She stared at him with hooded eyes. She sat up, suddenly more than conscious of her nakedness. She moved toward him and settled against his chest. His arms were tight around her. She welcomed his embrace as well as the sweet nothing's he whispered in her ear. She was already so used to things like this, though she knew that she shouldn't be. He cupped her face in his hands, kissing her temple, her forehead, her nose, her cheeks and her lips.