Memories

Maya's head was spinning. Riley can't remember anything. More importantly, Riley can't remember her.
   The short ride back to the Matthews' apartment from the hospital was awkward to say the least. While Cory, Topanga, and Maya all kept giving each other worried glances, Riley kept looking out the window at the sights she grew up to. The ones she didn't remember.
   When the group arrived at the apartment Maya went to grab for Riley's hand just like she always does, but hesitated. They haven't yet told Riley about them, wanting to wait awhile and let her get settled. Maya couldn't handle this. Her girlfriend was standing right in front of her and she couldn't do anything. No hugging, no holding hands, nothing.
   Maya decided to use her already outstretched had to gesture to Riley to follow her. The two girls the walked down the narrow hallway lined with books and family photos to Riley's room. When Riley walked into her room she wasn't surprised, but you could tell that nothing seemed familiar to her. Yet.
   After Riley was done surveying the room, she walked over to the wall parallel to her bed by her closet door. There hung photos that Riley had taken in the past of her and Maya. This seemed to intrigue Riley.
"We're really good friends?" Riley questioned, picking out one of the photos to inspect further.
"The best, actually. Known each other since we were barely tall enough to reach the doorknob." Maya replied, smiling to herself at the memories.
   Riley then put the photo she was holding back on the wall, another catching her eye. This one was of herself and Maya together. Together kissing.
"We're also a couple." Riley states, putting all the pieces together.
"Y-yeah. We are." Maya sputters, wondering how "new Riley" will react to the fact that she is not entirely straight.
"Are we lesbians?" Riley asks, still not turning around to face Maya, just looking at the picture.
"Um, not exactly. You're bi and I'm pan. You like guys and girls and I like, well, everyone." Maya states sheepishly.
   This is the moment when Riley turns around. Locking eyes with Maya, she takes a few steps closer. Now she is close enough to smell Maya's flowery perfume that kinda clashes with the leather jacket and combat boots she currently has on. Still keeping eye contact, Riley tilts her head. She then gives Maya a bright smile.
"I can see why I like you. You're very pretty. Your hair looks like gold and you smell like rainbows."
   The fact that this was such a normal thing for Riley to say made Maya want to burst into tears and envelope her girlfriend into her arms right then and there. Maybe her Riley isn't gone after all.

-----

A/N:

   Thank you for 8k! Glad so many of you like this story!

You all should go read The Unlikely Match by Kenz026. She is an amazing writer who is just starting out and who I'm glad to call my best friend. You won't regret it!