Amnesia

Today was a good day. With the whole Charlie Gardner situation put to rest and Riley back to her normal chipper self, Maya couldn't be happier. At least, that's what she thought.
--------------------
   As Maya and Riley walked hand in hand down the street they come up on a hotdog stand. Having not eaten all day, Maya decided to go and buy her girlfriend and herself each one. Leaving Riley by herself only a few yards away, Maya started walking towards the cart.
   Riley stood there, waiting like Maya had told her to. She was planning on standing like she was told to until Maya got back, but when her hat flew off of her head and farther down the sidewalk what was she supposed to do?
   She only took about five steps- she counted. She was just about to grab her hat- her favorite I may add- when she heard someone scream. Those unrecognizable words were the last thing she heard.
--------------------
   Maya's world stopped spinning. As she heard the scream of some woman on the side of the street and the screeching of car tires on the busy road behind her, she froze. She didn't dare turn around and face the horrible truth that she would until she died wished would never come.
   The next noise she heard was another scream, but it wasn't from the woman standing alone along the sidewalk. It was from her. She clapped her hands over her mouth as she felt the first tears begin to fall down her face.
   Maya ran. She ran so fast you would've thought she'd been running all her young, fragile life. Where did she run to? She ran to the middle of 5th Street, straight into a crowd of gathering strangers. As sirens wailed in the distance Maya fell to her knees. Laying in front of her was Riley. Riley Matthews. Happy, wonderful, amazing Riley Matthews.
   But Riley wasn't happy. She wasn't wonderful or amazing either. She was just laying there. She just lays there as her chest barely rises and falls with the rhythm of her quiet beating heart. Maya crawled closers to her dimming ray of sunshine, hoping to bask in her warmth just one more time.
As the sirens drew nearer Maya held Riley in her arms. Warming her hands and brushing her hair out of her face. Riley wouldn't want to be seen as such a mess. She'd want to be pretty, just like her heart.
   Before Maya knew what was happening she felt strong arms pull her sunshine away. She fought and kicked but Maya soon realized that she had no fight left in her. Her fight left with her ray of sunshine in the white van that whisked her away, like a summer breeze.
   Out of the corner of her eye Maya noticed something fluttering in the breeze. Riley's hat. As she picked it up pictures of Riley flashed before her eyes from just a few moments ago.
   As Maya stood there in the middle of the street clinging to what may be the only piece of her girlfriend that she has left, she began to sing.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy when skies are gray.

You'll never know dear, how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away.