FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 5 - I was Stupid Enough to Wager Against the Drama Queen

Start from the beginning

••• FIMBULWINTER •••

ISANG ORAS ang nakalipas bago kami masundo ni Sir Arthur at ng maangas n'yang Ford Ranger. Wala kaming nasakyang jeep pauwi (punuan at walang may gustong magpasakay kay Fenrir) kaya napilitan akong tawagan ang isa sa mga tatay namin.

Sa likod ng pick-up sumakay si Lae at si Fenrir, dahil feeling nila may motorcade na nagaganap whilst I called shotgun.

"Was your trip successful?" Sir Arthur asked.

I nodded. "Yep."

"You went there because you're looking for...?"

"For Winter Hexagon. I told Sir Lance about it, he didn't tell you?"

"No, why would he? It's none of my business."

And yet he's asking me about my trip—oh, maybe he's asking for the sake of conversing. It would be awkward if we didn't talk for the entirety of the trip.

"We planted a camera and a microphone to track everyone who goes in and out of the café, then I connected my phone to the café's internet. From there I could hack into Winter Hexagon once again."

"Once again," Sir Arthur repeated.

I flinched. "I—I forgot to mention that I was a member but I swear I left the group and I..." I trailed off. I hoped I didn't come out as defensive. I didn't want Sir Arthur to suspect me or my affiliations.

"Thank you," he said.

That caught me off-guard. "Why are you thanking me?"

"You're doing this to catch the hacker who hacked Lance's phone, aren't you?"

Yeah, well, also that. But mainly I just wanted to hack into Wonderland Org.

"Para sa buong SMS po ang ginagawa ko," I said.

I caught a glimpse of a smile on the corner of his lips. "You finally found real friends, huh, Dave?"

The way he called me Dave triggered lots of unpleasant memories, but it was comforting—knowing that those days of being the friendless Dave Casedale Drew was finally over.

I nodded, smiling. "Abnormal po sila but I'm sure they're my friends."

"When you find someone important, people who care for you, treasure them and don't throw them away."

"I won't."

I won't throw SMS away like I how I threw Error away. It's time to make it right.

A "Sir Ducere calling..." flashed on the car's screen. Sir Arthur pressed answer and quickly said, "You're on loud speaker and Edward's sitting beside me. Be decent."

There was a hearty laugh on the other side of the line. Sir Lance's laugh echoed throughout the car since it was connected to the car's speakers.

"When was I not decent? I'm just calling to tell ya we're not at Orchid Street anymore. Cassandra came and took over the scene so we went home."

"How's Uresonderry taking that?"

"Not good. He hasn't said a word since we came home. He's a ticking time bomb."

I tried not to laugh. Ticking time bomb.

"Don't pick on the boy, he's having a bad enough day."

"Pft."

"We're almost there. See you."

"Right. I love you."

Sir Arthur chuckled fondly. "Audrey Hepburn." Then he ended the call, looking completely flushed. Buti pa si Sir Arthur hindi binababaan ng phone.