Chapter 7 - A Seven-Minute Semblance

Edward Dace

Edward Dace.

16. August.
Monday, 3:00 pm.
Coronado Chronicles Newsroom.

IT WASN'T THE GRANDEST WELCOME, but I felt the sincerity of this popstar-ish dude's "Welcome home!"

This dude led the way inside and Futhark followed first. I tried not to appear too awed with the newsroom, and diverted my eyes on my phone. Baka mahalata pa nila na first time kong makapasok sa isang college student publications newsroom.

"First time kong makapasok sa isang newsroom," Futhark muttered under his breath, leaning a bit towards my direction. Nawala na kahit papa'no ang hiya ko.

I looked up from my phone and quickly scanned the newsroom with my eyes. It was a lot nicer than what I've imagined. The room smelt like paper and coffee. One wall was jammed with stacks of newspaper and—well, obviously—more papers. Across that wall was a table, like a conference table, with more papers. There were two male students sitting there, but mountains of paper stole their faces from view. I could only see their uniform.

Behind that table, farther in the back, were two more tables, but they rather seemed to be used by individuals. Probably the editor-in-chief and the associate editor. Computers and printers were neatly arranged. The shelves were used for houseplants, though, so the books were left stacked on the tables.

I settled my vision on a cosy corner near a window. There was a cream leather couch and a low coffee table, and I saw two students just sitting, covering their faces with an issue of Coronado Chronicles. Then I saw a familiar face, Mistletoe's, pretending to be busy with the computers to hide from me.

"Congratulations!" the popstar-ish dude with the dark curly hair greeted and opened his arms.

Joyeuse, Futhark, and I stared blankly at him. We heard Laevateinn shutting the door behind him. There was an awkward silence that I broke with a silent, monotonous, and sarcastic, "Yaaay..."

The curly-haired dude cleared his throat and blinked. Medyo napahiya. He immediately regained composure, though, and introduced himself. "I'm Zweihänder, the editor-in-chief of Coronado Chronicles, and thank you, thank you for uhm, giving us your time."

"Na-suspend kami dude," I said, "at papaanong hindi namin pagbibigyan ang Tissue Paper of Destiny, e hinack n'yo ang lahat ng accounts ko para lang masiguro na sasagutan ko talaga ang mga clues doon."

"Hack?" Zweihänder furrowed his brows. "Mist? Hinack mo ba ang mga accounts ni Edward?"

Mistletoe blinked at me and shook his head. "M-May matapang bang kayang gumawa n'on...?"

"Hindi ka ba inutusan ni Sir Henry?" I asked him, crossing my arms.

"Hindi ako inutusan ni Sir Henry, Ed. Kaya lang nadamay ang Literature Club ay dahil member ka n'on at doon lang kita pwedeng ma... masundan."