Chapter 9 - Contracts And Conditions

Edward Dace

Edward Dace.

17. August.
Tuesday, 5:00 am.
Coronado University Dormitory.

I WOKE UP FROM A NIGHTMARE. When I opened my eyes, I was panting and sweating.

I can't remember the exact details, and the more I tried to figure out what the dream was about, the more this massive headache pinned me down.

I could remember yelling at someone, being yelled at, and running away. There were smithereens of a scene where I watched my younger self witness two people, a man and a woman, fight. There were lots of yelling, dude.

Lots of yelling.

When I managed to shake myself from the nightmare and into the real world, the present time, I realised I was lying on the floor. To be precise, on newspapers.

Pakiramdam ko, ginawa nila akong aso.

I immediately got up and looked around to see which circle of hell I was thrown into. I seemed to be in a dormitory. It wasn't my dorm room, but I was sure this was Coronado.

The room was nicer than mine, despite being bare. The walls were cool aquamarine accented with dark oak. The colour, of course. Near the window was a glossy black table stacked with notebooks, folders, and empty cups. On the floor were stacks of books. To my left was an unmade bed with white sheets.

On the bed I found Joyeuse, still in his yesterday clothes. Ni hindi s'ya nagtanggal ng sapatos. Siguro sa sobrang pagod kagabi ay sumubsob na lang s'ya sa kama n'ya. Nice.

Teka.

"¡EL INFIERNO!" I screeched, jumping away from the bed and bumping into the table. Two cups fell down and broke.

Joyeuse woke up with a start, sitting bolt upright with a disconcerted look on his groggy face. He cautiously looked around, then scowled when his eyes landed on me. He squinted and threatened in a husky voice, "If that moving object was you, Edward Dace, I will kill you."

I was watching him threaten me when Futhark appeared from the bed feet. Pinipilit n'yang buksan ang mata n'ya kaso inaantok pa rin ang kawawang Madam Rosa. I pitied him more after discovering that he also slept on the cold floor.

So.

Nasa palasyo pala kami ni drama queen.

••• GODSFORRENT •••

WE ATE BREAKFAST IN MY DORM ROOM.

Bago ʼyon ay umuwi muna ako at naligo, tapos sumakto na habang pinag-iisipan ko kung anong kakainin ko ay kumatok si Futhark, may bitbit na pagkain.

I didn't complain, it was thoughtful of him. I didn't complain until I discovered that he invited Joyeuse too. Futhark brought a picnic blanket with him so the three of us ate on the floor, in complete silence.