Strawberry Cake (Reader!Civilian X Sam Winchester)

Start from the beginning

"Oh," you smiled. As you reached for another item, you remembered you haven't asked for identification to check his age. "I almost forgot, uh, ID please?"

He stared at you for a moment, as if what you asked wasn't registering in his mind.

"ID...?" you repeated while holding your fingers up to imitate the position of holding a card.

"Oh! R-right! Sorry about that I just," he reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out his wallet. "I'm not used to getting asked that anymore, it's been a while."

You smiled, "It's just policy, I don't think you look like a twelve year old or anything."

He handed you his driver's license and you skimmed over it. So his name is Sam Winchester. You gave it back to him and finished scanning the rest of the products.

There was another bout of silence that enveloped the two of you, only the beeping of the register and soft music playing from the overhead radio filled the void.

"That'll be $19.14," you said, yawning mindlessly.

"Long night?" Sam asked. You hadn't gotten much sleep the night before actually, you were up catching up on assigned readings for class.

"Oh, uh," you reflexively put your hand over your mouth and nodded, before laughing softly. "Yeah, I...yeah. I'm here for a few more hours and I'd much rather be sleeping."

"I can relate," he answered, giving you a twenty dollar bill. You took it and the two of you made eye contact. You could feel your cheeks starting to burn and you just hoped it wasn't noticeable. God damn his good looks.

"Oh no, that's not a good thing," you laughed. "Panda eyes and sleep deprivation is never okay, but thanks for the solidarity." You handed him his change but he shook his head.

"You can keep it," Sam said, picking up his bag. "Thank you..." his voice lingered, waiting for you to tell him your name.

"(Y/N)," you answered quickly.

"Thank you, (Y/N)," Sam said, smiling at you. He did a small wave before turning and exiting the store.

The second he left you exhaled loudly, practically groaning. You had a successful exchange with a cute guy and for once you didn't embarrass yourself. You mentally patted yourself on the back. Good job, (Y/N).

------------------------------

The adrenaline rush you got from talking with Sam wore off quickly and soon you found yourself back in a state of boredom. The hours dragged on and you barely had any business minus a couple of bikers. For the most part you were alone and finding it hard to not fall asleep and feel bitter.

The pop music overhead blared on and on, putting you almost in a sleepy trance. I gotta stay awake, you told yourself, shaking your head vigorously and blinking.

The bell jingled again and you looked up at the entrance. It was Sam.

"Oh, hello," upon seeing him you perked up, instantly felt more awake. "Back again?" You turned to face him from behind the counter.

"Yeah," he answered. He was carrying a small white bag in his hand. You looked at it momentarily before meeting his eyes again.

"It's pretty late," you said. "Need more beer?"

"Actually," Sam walked over to you and placed the bag on the counter. "I figured you would like some company."

You raised an eyebrow, taken aback by his words. He opened up the bag and pulled out a small box, it was a strawberry cake.

"I mean, I hope I'm not bothering you or anything?" Sam handed you a fork.

"Not at all!"

The two of you looked at each other, an awkward pause having taken over. You weren't sure what to make of this. What was going on? A guy you just met bought you a cake and wants you to eat it with him. You barely had a conversation with him a few hours ago.

"Is this weird?" he asked suddenly. "This is weird, isn't it?" Sam slouched a little, his eyes darting all over the place. "I'm sorry--"

"No," you cut him off, reaching out with your free hand to touch his forearm. "You're fine," you said reassuringly. "I think it's really sweet, Sam," you said his name out loud for the first time and it felt different, but you liked it.

He relaxed and smiled at you, it was almost bashful. It made you happy that you weren't the only one who sucked at conversation. He seemed shy and that was incredibly endearing, also relatable.

"There's just a small problem," you said, you watched as the smile slipped away from his face. "I'm allergic to strawberries."

His eyes widened, "I am so sorry!" he exclaimed, voice raised. "I should have asked, I--"

You laughed, "It's okay! How about this," you patted his arm and told him to wait. You walked to the refrigerated area of the store and picked out a prepackaged vanilla cake. You quickly returned to the counter and placed it next to the cake Sam bought.

"I can't eat strawberries, but you can," you said slowly as you focused on opening the plastic container. "And I'll eat this!" you stuck your fork into the cake and took a bite, smiling at him.

Sam didn't say anything but responded with a grin and started to eat his cake as well.

"And since we're already here," you continued. You were going to take the plunge. It's not every day a cute guy buys you food, that wasn't the type of guy you wanted to let go. Besides, at this point wasn't he practically asking you out? "Are you free later?"

"I am," Sam answered and he looked at you.

"Good," you smiled, and the two of you continued to eat your desserts in a comfortable bliss.

//End.