Chapter 19

All in all, a successful Christmas, Draco thought drowsily over breakfast the next morning. He was seated beside Hermione at the singular table, trying to concentrate on his plate of eggs. Unfortunately, that wasn't quite going to plan. Every time her arm brushed his, an electric shock seemed to course through him. On one such occasion, he gave a little jolt, causing Hermione to peer at him curiously. He shrugged it off and went back to his breakfast.

A whoosh overhead signified the arrival of the mail. His eagle owl, Artemis, swooped down. She was laden with a fresh bag of sweets from his mother. She nipped his finger affectionately. He untied her burden, tucking the small pouch in his bag. He would give them to Hermione later.

   A large barn owl swooped down, delivering the paper to Hermione. She smiled at the bird, fished in her pocket, and pulled out a handful of little bronze knuts. She counted out five and placed them in the little satchel tied around the owls leg. With an affectionate nip to her fingers, he flew off.

   Biting her lip with apparent worry, she shook open the paper and disappeared behind it. Draco watched her eyes scan the front page, first widening- they were huge orbs- then narrowing- they became small brown slits. He leaned over her shoulder to read the front page;

Two more found dead, Ministry on edge.

86-year-old Archie Filiman and his 23-year-old niece were found dead in their home on Christmas night. They were found with the very same silver S as the previous victims, which is now known to stand for The Silver Snake. The Ministry requests that if any information is know, it is told.

Hermione's wide eyes met his, and they shared a look of horror. Draco didn't feel remotely tired now. Hermione turned and glanced around the Hall. She turned back to him.

"We have to find out what's going on," she stressed the word with finality, "This can't go on any longer."

"Hermione, we haven't anything to go on, not to mention-" He started, but was cut off as a fifth year Slytherin with dark hair and heavily lidded eyes approached. Draco immediately knew who she was, but Hermione didn't seem to recognize her.

"Hello," the girl said in a slightly high voice.

"Hello," Hermione said brightly, a warm smile on her face.

Draco merely nodded.

The girl's dark, sharp eyes scanned their faces, expressionless. She seemed to note on their close proximity, then spoke, "I was just wondering... er-"

It was extremely well done, this girl's practiced hesitance, the stuttering, not too dramatic but very noticeable all the same. Draco new it was an act. He knew this girl. She never stuttered, nor was she unsure of herself. She was there for a reason. He intended to find out what.

"What is it?" Hermione prompted kindly.

"I was wondering... c-could you help tutor me next semester? Er- I haven't been doing very well in Transfiguration and Surmin said I needed a tutor." She said this very fast and in a nervous tone, but Draco could see her sharp eyes, scanning their faces, looked perfectly confident. She was in her element, as it seemed.

"Oh," Hermione said, catching on. She smiled reassuringly once again, "Of course! When would you like to start?"

   "After the holidays, if that's okay?"

   As the two girls continued to fix dates and times, Draco watched with suspicion. Why was this girl asking for help? Draco knew perfectly well that she was top of her year. What was she playing at?

   "Oh, and I never caught your name," Hermione finally said after the dates had been affixed. Draco waited on bated breath for the girl to state her name, for Hermione to shrink back with horror.

   It didn't happen.

   "Astoria Greengrass," she stated firmly.

   Hermione nodded, smiling, and shook the girl's hand.

   Draco's stomach sank.

   That was not Astoria Greengrass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey!

Sorry sorry sorry sorry about not updating sooner. I'm currently bowling- at 1:00 am- at my bestie's birthday sleepover/party. So awesome. I figured since I suck at bowling, I'd just update my story.

Anyway, who is our mysterious fifth year? And could she have anything to do with the attacks?
For now, you stay in the dark... unless you can guess, of course.

Love ya,
-kk😘