Chapter 15

The next day, I was dreading going out and facing Draco.

    I felt awkward beyond belief, knowing that he had been in my room whilst I was sleeping. Waking up and seeing the water glass broken, it's shards glittering upon the floor like misshapen diamonds, had scared me enough. Noticing Draco's wand missing- not to mention the soft breathing that seemed to come from right beside me- had set me on edge. I hadn't been able to get back to sleep at all, so I spent the day reading Pride and Prejudice. Or trying to, anyway. Sadly, I found myself re-reading the same paragraph over and over, while not taking in a shred of meaning. All in all, not a very productive day.

   Now, lying in bed the next morning, I was still replaying the moment of the kiss in my head, still not even sure that it had happened. The broken glass beside my bed proved this, though. I hadn't even mended it yet.

   I was jarred from my thoughts by a knock on the door. Knowing there was only one person who could be knocking, I pushed back the covers and got out of bed, nearly treading on the broken glass in my haste. I smoothed my hair a little and trudged to the door. Upon opening it, I found myself face to face with Draco. Only a few centimeters separated us.

   My cheeks went a little pink at our close proximity, and I took a hasty step back. About a meter separated us now, and I got a good look at his somewhat Muggle-like attire. His white blonde hair was cover by a hat, and he wore a black and gray winter coat, which made his eyes, which now sparkled with amusement, stand out.

   "You forgot the Hogsmead trip, didn't you?" Draco asked, though he didn't sound disappointed. In fact, he sounded as if he was on the brink of laughter.

   "Oh! Er- no, no I didn't." I lied. Truth was, I had entirely forgotten from the excitement of yesterday. We- Draco and I, as Head Boy and Girl- had been told by McGonagall that we were to do a quick outing in Hogsmead, check on 'things,' according to her. I pretended not to know what her conspiratorial wink had meant.

   "Right," He said with a smirk, clearly not believing me.

   "Just... Er- just give me a few minutes." I stammered. He nodded, and I shut the door. I quickly dressed, brushed my teeth, and put on my boots. Shrugging on my coat, I placed my wand carefully in my pocket, put on a hat, and went back to the common room. All in all, that had been pretty fast.

   "Is the princess finished, finally?" Draco asked jokingly. I looked around, not seeing him, until I strode forward to see him sprawled over the couch. His coat almost entirely blended in with the blanket.

   "Nearly," I said, rolling my eyes.

   "Well, come on, then." He sat up, stretched leisurely, and stood. I turned, and he followed, matching me stride for stride, to the door.

    We were about halfway down the hall when he grabbed my hand.

    I glanced down at our now interlaced fingers, then back at his face. He looked at me normally, as if nothing was different than usual. Still, I thought I could detect a ghost of a smirk upon his handsome face.

    I looked determinedly foreword; I wasn't going to blush... no... no... NO!

    And I felt my cheeks heat up.

    "Dammit." I muttered.

    "What was that?" He asked. He was definitely smirking now.

    "Er... nothing." I said quickly. Merlin, why did I have to act so awkward?

    "If you say so," He said in a slightly mocking tone. I smiled.