Chapter 1

The sun shined brightly as I pushed my trolley towards the entrance to platform 9 3/4. Laughter and chatter echoed around me, and I smiled, glad to be finally be going back to Hogwarts. More importantly, though, I was excited to see my friends and my boyfriend, Ron. We had written, of course, but I had decided to stay with my parents over break. They had there memories back, and I had been so overjoyed to see them that I just couldn't leave them.

On the platform, the Hogwarts Express was smoking and hooting cheerfully. I glanced around and immediately spotted who I was looking for.

"Ron! Harry!" I called, unable to keep the grin off of my face. Ron turned, grinned back, and strode over, faster than I thought possible. He pulled me to him in an embrace and kissed me softly.

"Oi! Hermione! Ron!" Harry called. We broke apart and I grinned at Harry sheepishly. He grinned back. "Nice to see your whole face. "

"You too. I must say, I did miss it over break. " I laughed and pulled him into a hug. It was nice that even though we hadn't seen each other all summer, we were as good of friends as ever. I looked over his shoulder just in time to see-

"Luna! Neville!" Ron called. I let go of Harry, and he turned to look at the couple, who were walking, hand-in-hand, toward the train. Luna smiled her sweet, serene smile, and Neville waved with his free hand. All three of us waved back. The two had gotten together straight away after the war, and in my opinion, they made quite a cute couple.

"Wow. This brings back so many memories!" I said, and to my horror, I felt the prickling sensation in the corners of my eyes that meant tears. Even after a summer to let the grief pass, the wounds were still fresh. Harry spotted my expression and rubbed my back soothingly.

"I think we'd better get on the train, hadn't we?" Ron said hastily, and I nodded. Ginny chose that time to appear, and she hugged me quickly before grabbing her luggage, and the four of us got on the train. We picked an almost-empty compartment, with just Neville and Luna inside, trying to ignore the stares. They had intensified over the summer, and now it wasn't only Harry being stared at. Ron, Neville, Ginny, Luna, and I were also getting our fair share of attention. It was effecting Neville worst, I thought, as he squirmed.

"Hermione, don't you have to go patrol?" Ginny asked, gesturing to my Head Girl badge. Yes, I'd been chosen as head girl this year, and I was definitely happy about it, but I didn't know who Head Boy was, and for that I was nervous.

"Oh, no, actually. " I explained. "The letter said I needn't patrol, as there are a few teachers on the Express this year."

"Great! Oh, I forgot to ask, d'you know who Head Boy is?" Neville asked.

"No." Ron and I replied in unison. I smiled.

"So, what d'you reckon the new teachers will be like?" Ron wondered.

"I dunno. Let's just hope none of them has a grudge on one of us. I had enough of that in the last six years." Harry mused.

"Well, I'm hoping to catch a crumple-horned snorkack this year, so I'm hoping Professor Hagrid does a lesson on them this year." Luna said out of nowhere. I raised an eyebrow. The last time I had heard, Luna's father was searching for another Erumpet horn to replace the one that had blown up.

"Er-" Harry said.

"Anything from the trolley, dears? Anything from the trolley?" The witch who pushed the trolley asked, saving us.

There was a clamor as everyone but Luna rushed to get something from the trolley. I quickly took a Drooble's Best-Blowing Gum and payed for it.