Chapter 4

Flashback continues............

                          “Hello, I am Emma Harper, one of the coordinator’s of the Mercy Asylum for mentally and physically challenged children. On this June 23, we are celebrating the fifth anniversary of the Asylum as well as the inauguration of the new arts and science block. It will be a great honour and privilege for us to have your esteemed and valuable essence… Damn it, damn it…. It is presence and not essence, why, why?” I groaned loudly while face palming myself.

                             For the past ten minutes, I have been mugging up this dialogue as it were an essay on Second World War, so that when I get to meet the celebs I do not stutter for words and make a fool of myself. However, each time I iterate the lines, I would blurt out some blunders like this and curse my brain.  I am not brain lamed. But whenever I am nervous or scared my brain pretends to be invisible leaving my poor mouth by its own, which in turn forgets to generate coherent words for the moment.

                       I peeped through my palms and could see Stacy biting her cheek unable to control her laughter. My pathetic situation is so funny for her. What a great friend! I took my face out of my hands and looked daggers at ‘struggling hard not to laugh’ Stacy; she immediately composed herself.

                    “Chill girl, take a deep breath and memorize it once more. Don’t stress too much. It will be fine.” She cheered me up.

                  “Do we need to do today itself” I whined at her. “May be tomm-” she cut me off midway.

                “There is no tomorrow Em, never leave what can be done today for tomorrow” she enlightened me while I sat there with my mouth wide open. When did my best friend become so philosophical? “Further they will be unengaged only till the concert starts which is in two days. So let us get going, no turning back. Time is running short.” What a foresight?

               “............ please accept our invitation to be the guest of honour.” 

              “Perfect” Stacy chirruped and hugged me. After three more trials I managed to say the dialogue without any blunders. Hope the situation will be the same when I meet them. And you my brain I am warning you, if you fail to remember any of this I will surely cut you into pieces.

                      I was lost in my own thoughts that I did not notice Stacy dragging me inside the hotel. But soon realized it when a polite voice addressed us. “Good morning madam” it was Jaclyn, the receptionist holding a bundle of papers in her hands. “Here let me show you to your office” she led the way. Jaclyn is only 22. A beautiful, smart, high spirited lady working hard to support her family.