Chapter 4 - Her Shine

Start from the beginning

    Then he heard someone weeping loudly in the distance...

    At this point, Jack had his hands on his head -- thumbs rubbing his temples, fingers clutching bits of hair.

    Why couldn't he remember?

    As quickly as he remembered the thought, it vanished from his mind.

    A sigh of defeat escaped his lips, and Jack flopped down from the branch. He stopped in the middle of his fall; a pressure of air prevented him from hitting solid ground.

    Jack didn't like getting bored. What else would you expect from the Guardian of Fun, anyway?

    He told the wind to guide him back to civilization. Within moments, Jack Frost was flying above the clouds over Ontario.

    A golden light from behind distracted him. He saw the Sandman working on his moving cloud of dream sand. While each stream of sand travelled through a town below, the Spirit of Winter rushed over to greet his friend.

    "Sandy!" Jack called to the short, golden man a thousand feet in the air.

    The other Guardian turned his head around momentarily, opening his mouth at the same time as an image of a snowflake formed above his head. Sandy waved at him.

    The Sandman might've said Jack Frost's name, for the younger Guardian smiled and landed right beside him. Jack proceeded to watch Sandy work.

    He thought it was amazing how an easy flick of the golden Guardian's wrist can send a dream to a sleeping child anywhere on Earth instantly.

    Dream, child, mind, instantly... Jack bounced up in the air in delightful discovery, getting a wonderful idea, perhaps. Oh, he was brilliant. He let out a yell of excitement.

    The confused, silent Guardian put a finger to his lips to shush Jack up.

    "Sorry," he apologized, more quietly this time. "I have to go now. I tell you about it soon. Catch yah later, Sandy!"

    The teenage spirit didn't even have the time to stay put anywhere, for the idea in his mind was so brilliant, he had to talk to North soon.

    The Sandman waved at Jack with a smile and sent new dreams across the night-time half of the world.

    Bound for the North Pole, the Winter Spirit yelled out loud in exhilaration.

    "WAHOO!" he hollered to the clouds and then did a somersault with the wind.

    He almost reached supersonic speed until he finally slowed down, taking in the view of his destination: Santa's Workshop.

    Jack headed straight for the large structure, a fortress hidden in one enormous crevice of an ice canyon.

________________________________________

    Ivan the Yeti barged into Santa's office, screaming in Yetish, "Glarbah mramur bragon!"

    A sudden loud, cracking noise erupted in the room and something large broke into pieces.

    Even if North was experienced in warfare and his senses were highly trained, he could never help himself being startled whenever one of his Yeti workmen forgot to knock.

    "GAH! My Ferrari!" the man yelped at the chunks of ice that was once a child-size sports car that was accidentally shattered by his chiselling hammer.

    The Yeti began to stutter an immediate apology, but he kept on calling his boss to see the commotion outside.

    "What elves?" the Guardian said, forgetting his disappointment, "With the Globe?" His eyes widened in surprise, fearing that the elves might've done something mischievous to the Globe.