Chapter 4 - Her Shine

Enjoy and vote! :)

=====

Chapter 4

HER SHINE 

________________________________________ 

    It had been two days.

    Two days since Jack had been searching for Clara. It frustrated him enough to be able to freeze a lake in one go! It wasn't like him to give up on something, but finding her seemed disheartening.

    He let out a loud, angry cry, making every forest critter scatter away in alarm. He stopped himself and breathed in deeply to try and calm his worries.

    The scent of pine and mint invaded his nostrils when he inhaled. It was soothing to the senses, at least.

    Jack Frost settled on top of a pine tree in the Boreal Forest in Canada. He sat down on a steady branch to think and rest. He closed his eyes and let positive thoughts enter his mind.

    With a smile on his face, he recalled how well he carried out his duties as a Guardian this week. He even gained new believers!

    The snowy environment didn't bother him, even if he was barefoot and wasn't wearing thicker clothing save for his blue hoodie and thin, tattered pants.

    He is the Spirit of Winter, after all.

    He leaned on the tall tree's bark, relaxing to the sounds of nocturne nature around him.

    His thoughts wandered carelessly around his mind. Jack thought of the Guardians, Jack thought of the Moon above him, Jack thought of Jamie with his wife and little Jamie Jr., and everything else.

    Then he pondered over one other kid in particular. He thought of a little girl, about six or seven years old at the time.

    She looked almost exactly like his sister, all those years in the past. Jack pursed his lips and furrowed his brows. He tried to remember who that child was, and at the same time he tried hard not to cry about his past life.

    He remembered her looks, easy enough - same brown hair as his sister, same brown eyes, except for the difference in face shape.

    But there was something else about that little girl... As if there were plenty of things that connected him to her.

    Jack knew that something bad happened to that kid, but he couldn't recall exactly what.

    He gripped his staff tightly, the frosty blue glow radiated on the wood from his touch.

    "I know her... I know her... That was about ten years ago... I do know... Shouldn't be too hard to remember," the Guardian murmured to himself.

    He racked through his brains until he found the right train of thought.

    He saw a memory of him talking to Mother Nature in her sanctuary, and she caused a blizzard somewhere near Burgess during her disagreement with him on some matter.

    He recalled rushing to the town, worried for the people. It was in such a state of distress, it almost alarmed him!

    So far, so good... There wasn't anybody out on the streets. It was night-time and everyone's at home.

    It stormed; the blizzard nearly tore lots of trees right off their roots. He tried to reason with the Winds, and eventually they calmed down.