CANCER

His smile was warm.

     And I couldn't help myself then but ran towards his waiting arms and cried there for a few minutes as he tried to hush me. As I looked up, he was crying too. It was the first time I saw him cry in front of me.

     We heard the door creaked so we both looked up to see my brother holding four tickets I couldn't recognize. I wanted to ask about that but Dad beat me. "We were going to talk about that later, Anthony."

     There was no need to ask what he meant. It was the tickets that brother waving in front of us.

     "OK." Anthony Lyndon said.

     "How was your health, darling?" Daddy suddenly asked me. No one mention my health here since my brother and me got back.

     "I felt fine, Dad. I'm now doing everything I can."

     "Good."

     Silence followed.

     Then I remembered I should be asking one important question, my blood transfusion. "Dad... "

     "Hmm. Yes, darling?"

     "May I ask if whose blood I owe? I remembered Dr. Steven told us that I needed a blood transfusion after my operation."

     He didn't answer me right away. He just looked at me for a moment then slowly spun around and went to the window. I turned to looked at my brother in confusion, but he only shrugged.

     It was a few minutes later before we heard him spoke again, "It was from me."

     He was still looking outside the window so he didn't see the shock that drawn instantly across my face. It was like a giant bomb that suddenly exploded right in front of me. I almost sway from them. I felt Mom rushed beside me as she embraced me to keep me steady on my feet. My brother followed suit.

     After a moment, I felt my shock was slowly lifting and I was starting to cry again. I didn't know what to do. Then Dad turned around, he was still smiling a warm smile despite that there were still tears dropping from his eyes.

     He walked towards us and spoke calmly, "You see, that's the reason how much I love you, my darling. And forgive me if I made it hard for you instead of supporting you."

     "Oh, Daddy don't! I'm the one you have to forgive. I forsook everything you've done for me. I mistrusted you." I cried.