CANCER

I was already inside my car. But before I left, I felt a warm breeze brushed against my skin despite the car air conditioner was on and in a full volume. I knew right then that he was happy where he was now.

                                   *****

Back home...

     As I opened the front door, my brother greeted me. He was so happy that I couldn't help myself but be happy for him, too. I didn't know what made him that way until he told me. "Daddy wants you upstairs. He wants to talk to you about something."

     My smile instantly vanished away. It was the first time Dad wanted to talk to me in private. It wasn't a fear that he would be going to castigate me. In fact, after we got home from the hospital in London, he was silent and never cast any harsh words towards me, not even when I was a child. He just smiled a little whenever I caught him looking at me anytime anywhere then took off.

     So why the sudden change?

     Anthony Lyndon saw me hesitating a bit. I heard him laughed and said, "Don't worry, sis. This isn't about what you think it is. C'mon, just go upstairs." When I didn't obey, he continued. "You're always be our Daddy's girl. Where's your courage now, sis?"

     Yes, I used to be our Daddy's girl before I disobeyed him for my own stupid mistake. I hope he would forgive me now. "Why don't you give me a clue as to what it is? Or just tell me about this yourself?"

     His already broad grin widened, revealing his perfect white teeth. He shook his head off. "Oh no! No way. Just go upstairs to the library, sit there and relax. OK? I'll follow you there in five minutes. I was going to get something Mom asked me to, that was why I'm here downstairs before I heard your car. Now go. And don't worry, Mom was there. Don't make them wait."

     Then he was gone.

                                    *****

     Now I was at the door of our library, I was still hesitating. I ordered myself to calm down then knocked three times.

     I heard Mom's voice inside. "Come in!"

     I sighed. As I opened the door, I saw Dad behind the desk slowly standing up as he saw me emerged. As soon as he stood up, he raised both his arms as if he was going to embrace me.