Finding A Study Partner

*Emma*

***A few months later***

"Exams are coming up, Em. You have to let everybody study." Sarah said rolling her eyes and flipping the textbook page.

"Ugh. Since when did you start caring about finals?" I asked, putting my feet on the open textbook, blocking her view; which is on Sarah's bed.

"Since dad got promoted. You know I never thought of attending college, and it wasn't only because i'm stupid, it's because we were low on money. Em, dad told me he'd be saving up for me if I get my grades up. That's a life-changing thing; College! Plus, I googled it, and they will be needing my freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior grades so I should start working from now. I mean my freshman year wasn't that horrible, I was a B student, but this year I was getting to my C's. So I talked to my teachers, and they all said they'd give me a chance if I ace the finals. I suggest you go study, and if you get distracted a lot, find a study partner. You have two whole weeks! I know we can both do it." Sarah said, pushing my feet away from her book, and taking out another notebook.

"Wow, Sarah." I said, "That's amazing news, i'm really happy for you. But i was wondering if you'd like to be my study partner?" I said, looking up at her and blinking my eyes repeatedly. She rolled her eyes.

"Em! Just leave me alone, go find someone else to annoy! Come on, just go home and study." Sarah said.

****

I tried, I really did. I have been trying to study for the past half an hour. But I just couldn't get my mind to concentrate and solve. I sighed exasperatingly and closed my eyes, burying my head in my hands. I then looked at my ceiling, who can be my study partner?

****

"Hello? Gaby?" I asked, hope filling my excited heart as I felt its beat inside my chest.

"Sorry, Em. But i'm studying, talk to you later." And she hung up. Ugh. I can't call Fari cause she's a year older than me, and Jerry dropped out. Many of my friends dropped out actually. That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea, I thought. But then I remembered Sarah and how she thinks going to college is a life-changing event, so that made me call some other people in class, who all said that they would love to but they'd prefer studying alone.

So another hour has passed and I was laying on my bed with a headache and three math books open and sprawled on the bed looking uninviting next to me. I groan. I wait for a moment. Then I groan louder.

Staring at my ceiling, I found myself drifting away, and then suddenly an image of Michael and I cuddling showed up in head, I sat up bolt right and blinked.

That's it. 

*****************