Deke

The room is preternaturally quiet. His eyes drift across to Jenna, who is looking at him with an expression he can only describe as horror. She looks frantically from Deke to Bruiser. Bruiser is back on his feet, with that familiar look of rage filling his eyes. Only one of them is walking out of this house, the other will leave in a body bag.

"Deke..."

It's a whisper, she is begging. There is no way out of this situation, and she probably knows it.

"Why."

He doubts Bruiser will give him an explanation, and a part of him doesn't care. The man standing in front of him is a stranger and a psychopath.

Bruiser gives him a sly smile.

"You've tasted young flesh, your own sister's. Everyone knows you were fucking her as kids. So you should know..."

Deke lands a punch so hard, he feels Bruiser's nose crumple under his knuckles. Bruiser lets out a deep bellow of pain and rushes Deke.

Deke sidesteps, then punches again. This time Bruiser doubles over in pain. When he straightens up, he is holding a gun, pointing it between Deke's eyes.

Deke smiles.

Bruiser swivels it around and points at Jenna.

"Say goodbye to your favourite pussy," he says nasally as the blood continues to  flow from his broken nose.

"Do you think I give a shit about her? I was only with her to piss her fucking loser father off. What better way than to fuck the apple of his life."

Too much, he looks Bruiser dead in the eye, a flicker would be Jenna's death sentence. A flash of doubt in Bruiser's eyes, enough time for Jenna to move out of the way, Deke jumps Bruiser and the gun goes off.

Someone is screaming, and he feels a warm liquid on his skin. He is lying on top of Bruiser, the blood seeping from Bruiser's chest wound is warm and has a metallic smell. Deke looks him in the eye, the life leaving his eyes rapidly like a fast disappearing ray of evening sun.

"I fucked up..."

It's a whisper from a dying man, who now looks like a small boy. Deke swings  himself off Bruiser. Moments ago, this man nearly killed the love of his life. Why the fuck does it feel so hard? He reaches for Bruiser's hand and squeezes it gently.

"I'm sorry Deke, I couldn't control the monster inside, I tried but I just couldn't..."

Deke continues to squeeze Bruiser's hand until it goes limp. When he looks up, Jenna is ripping off the tape around her mother's hands. The screaming has stopped. Jenna sees him looking at her and she stops and stares at him, her expression tortured. It feels like an eternity, and then she rushes over to him and throws herself into his arms, her legs straddling his waist, her heart beating like that of a frightened bird, against his chest. The feel of her body against his, just where it belongs.

God he loves her.

She is whispering something urgently in his ears, he can feel her hot tears on his chest, he calms his heartbeat and tries to focus on what she's saying.

"...please tell me it's not true..."

"Jenna, stop. I can't understand what you're saying baby."

"Is it true? Is my dad...is he yours? Are you my...brother"

What the fuck.

"Baby, you need to calm down, what are you talking about?"

James is staring him, and the hostility that he usually displays is gone.

"Are you and Ella my half siblings?"

"Ella was, not me Jenna, not me."

"How do you know you aren't?"

"Jenna, I'm not your brother, but I'm also not the one you should ask."

He looks towards James who is trying to help up his wife. His wife who looks broken and defeated.

"Daddy, for Godsake, you have to tell me, tell us all."

James looks at Deke once more, and shakes his head.

"No Jenna, I only cheated on your mother once and that little girl was the result. When I met her mother, she already had a young son with her."

Jenna's mother sobs into James' chest as he clearly opens old wounds with this statement.

Deke holds her tight, how can he ever leave this women who owns his life. And how can he not make sacrifices for her. He nearly lost her and the thought is unbearable.

"I love you"

She looks at him in surprise, her beautiful face tear stained. She starts to say something but is interrupted by her mother.

"Jenna baby, my beautiful child, being with that man only brings danger and blood and fear. Don't do it baby, please my baby, I won't let you."

Jenna is still looking at him, and does not turn to face her mother.

"Do you mean it?"

"Jenna."

"I want you completely Deke, not bits and pieces, I want all of you."

He is about to answer when a mob of bikers storms the room led by Opie.