Jenna

She wakes up with a start. Where is she?? Then she remembers, in a room in the farmhouse. God, what time it is? She's so thirsty.

Jenna climbs out of bed and fumbles around looking for a light switch on the lamp next to the bed. She can't find one, so she walks carefully in the direction of the door. The house is so quiet, eerily so. She finds a light switch in the corridor and walks towards the kitchen. Claudie, whose bitchiness from this morning had vanished after Jenna's actions in the evening, had given her night clothes. Except, these are not pyjamas, she feels like she's preparing for a porn shoot in the lacy transparent top and impossibly short transparent bottoms. God, hope no one catches her in them.

She walks into the kitchen, moonlight shines through a bare window and the floor is cold beneath her bare feet. She opens the fridge and the bright light from inside, shines on her skimpy top, showing off her breasts. She grabs the orange juice and shuts the door quickly, embarrassed at the exposure. She takes huge gulps of the OJ, so sweet and cool, quenching her thirst. In her eagerness, some of the juice spills onto her top making it translucent in the moonlit kitchen. She looks up suddenly and gasps.

Deke is standing there, watching her. How long has he been standing there. He looks like a dark dangerous animal, his eyes hooded, his face in shadow.

She nearly drops the container in her hands. Then she raises her arms, trying to cover her breasts.He is wearing a pair of jeans and nothing else. The moonlight shows off his perfectly sculpted muscles, the grooves of his six pack, the taut muscles in his shoulders. He looks so huge and a little frightening. A few hours ago, she had almost run away from him, probably forever. Now she's standing here, in this strange house in front of a man who confuses her. She needs to walk back to her room now, go home to her parents tomorrow and then leave LP for her normal stable world back in NYC.

But she can't move.

She looks into his eyes and tries to read his thoughts - but he's a closed book - as always. She is surprised at the heat emanating from his body, it makes her pulse race. He's not very close but his pull is powerful and her body starts to shiver and vibrate in response to his. Like two magnets trying to resist the immutably powerful force that's drawing them together.

"You could have walked away tonight, taken your friend's dad and run. No one, not even I could have stopped you."

His voice is a low deep rumble, like slow rolling thunder.

Of course she could have. And how easy things could have been if she'd saved Les and simply returned to her perfect life with her perfect law abiding friends.

"I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if Opie had been hurt."

His eyes flicker dangerously, and for a split second, she thinks she sees disappointment in his eyes.

"You saved his life. You saved me from making one of the biggest mistakes in my life." He's still looking at her intently, his beautiful eyes boring into hers, keeping her from moving.

An image enters her mind, of a much younger Deke, his hands bloodied and shaking after he'd attacked the paedophile. His eyes boring into hers, searching frantically to see if she was okay. Eyes that looked at her with such profound love.

"I haven't always been very good at that."

His face changes and she glimpses a flash of anger twist his features.

"Why the fuck did you leave Jenna? Why the fuck didn't you tell me?"

His hands ball into fists as his voice lowers and shakes with emotion.

What is he talking about? He didn't bother keeping in touch with her, he just forgot her. Her heart starts racing and her blood starts to burn.

"You tried really hard to find me didn't you. If you cared so much, why didn't you look for me? Or was I just the first notch on your bedpost."