CBTBB - Chapter 26 - Gregory

A little cuddling

I knew that Lo would know something had happened yesterday with the pretty lady. He doesn't know for sure what went wrong, but since Syl was still upset about it the next day he made it his mission to cheer him up. It is very funny to see him walk after Syl with everything that would make him smile; like his Star Wars storm trooper collection, or his favourite cuddly toy. Yet, Syl wanted none of that, he only wanted to sit on Tay's lap or being cuddled up to him. Lo took it personal and started crying, saying that Syl didn't want to be his friend anymore. He raced up the stairs, slammed the door to his room, yelling he didn't want to go to school anymore.

That's when Tay had enough of Syl's evasiveness towards Lo and made him go after him and apologise. Now Syl started to cry, he didn't understand why Tay was so angry with him. Then Tay explained that he wasn't really angry with him, but it's not good to ignore your best friend when he tries to cheer you up. Syl was still sniffing a little as he slowly trudged up the stairs to Lo's room.  

"They will be a pain in the ass to get to school now." Tay sighed as he ranked a hand through his hair. "Syl, Se non ti sbrighi in questo momento, si andrà a scuola in autobus!" He yelled that earned him a squeak from upstairs and not much later Syl and a disgruntled Lo were downstairs with backpacks on their backs.

"What did you threaten him with?" I ask him later at lunchtime. Tay just grins bashfully at me. I pout at him until he finally gives in with a kiss to my cheek.

"I told him if he didn't hurry up he would have to ride the bus to school." He laughs as I raise a questioning brow at him. "He went on it once but he was to sit beside the kid that kept farting and burping all the way to school. It made him nauseous for the whole ride to school. Works like a charm every time."

School was quite boring, classes dragged on and on. Even though Joel was bouncing in his seat, and the teacher had warned him several times, he was still in class. The reason he was bouncing was because we made it through to the semi-finals of a tournament we never qualified for before. Like most of our players, I too, was a little concerned that we might not be able to handle the differences in level of play. Despite all of that there was an unmistakable churning in my gut that was pure excitement. I wonder who we will be facing.

That excitement turned into full blown dread when the coach told us who we will be facing; Weston High, the undefeated champions for the last ten years. Even Joel stopped his bouncing after the announcement. We all knew that it would be hard to play at their level, let alone beat them or put up a good fight. Never the less, we kept up with our training, we would put up the fight of our lives during that game.

As expected they all jeered at us as we assembled in a line by the net. Some people even booed at us. Weston High had a reputation of being a rich school and as long as you had money you would get what you wanted. It definitely showed in the quality of their over the top bright uniforms and the sneers on the players faces. Some players looked quite familiar, I must have seen them somewhere some place. The coin was tossed and they had the first serve. Although they played hard and heavy, we returned every single ball they gave us. It wasn't until we had our first serve that we managed to make a point. If they were shocked they didn't let it show, I am pretty sure they thought it was a fluke.

They were a little more guarded now we managed to snag a point, but it wasn't good enough. For some reason they became sloppier and sloppier the longer the match dragged on. We had finally reached the same amount of points, it was 22 – 22. This is going to be interesting. I wave at my family, Tay, Syl and Rafa in the stands, Tay give me a smile and a thumbs up as I drink some more from my water bottle. We all startle as we hear a shout and a grunt. Turning we see the number seven sitting on his ass on the floor with a red hand print on his cheek. If looks could kill, I am pretty sure the coach would have been six foot under.