CBTBB - Chapter 23 - Taylor

Taylor's mother and Gordo arguing

As most things in life, the good things too come to an end. Mine came rather aburptly, I was barely in the door after dropping Greg home, and I was holding a crying Syl in my arms. "What? What is it Syl?" I couldn't make sense of his incoherent babbling. I looked up in question as a pair of footsteps make their way towards us. Coming face to face with my elusive mother. She was smiling quite brightly as she opened her arms for the hug she wouldn't recieve. I was too busy calming Syl down to do so. She pouted as I shuffled my way past her into the livingroom.

There I was greeted with Gordo's drawn face and Meredith's pale stressed out one. "What does she want?" I sit down on the small two sitee with Syl now silently sobbing against my chest. Our mother entered with a lot of flair, something we were quite used too. Much to her displeasure as she huffed and wiggled her way onto the sittee with me. "Why don't you properly greet your mother?" She demanded, what translated to why don't you lavish me with all your attention? I am the centre of attention, centre of the world.

"Why is it you only show up whenever you feel like it? And why are you never there when I or Syl need you?" Her hand that was stroking Syl's head stalled, dropped into her lap as Syl fearfully peeked at her from under his lashes. She stands up and starts pacing. The clicking of her four inch high designer heels on the floor was more reassuring to me than her touch and that says something. When I was younger and Syl was just a teeny tiny baby, our mother was only concerned with being seen by the important people of the fashion world. She always wanted to be a model, stand in the brightest spotlight possible.

"I want you two to come back to Italy with me. I want us to be a family again." Everybody is holding their breath as she drops this bomb on us. Just when Gordo and Meredith got the court approving of them adopting us as their own instead of letting our mother get her hands on us. "What makes you think we want to go with you now the year is only half over? I mean our lives are here, I know for sure dad and grandfather would want us to stay here." She swallows as I talk about the dead men, Italians are very superstitious and every grown up in the room crosses themselves.

"The boy has a point Anastasia, why are you coming back now? Meredith and I just got the improvement from the court of adopting them as our own." Gordo states as he glares at her, his earlier uncomfortable at her presence forgotten. Anastasia paled before her typical Italian short fuse shows. "How dare you Gordo! They are my children!" She screeches pointing an accusing finger at him. "I never heard about this court thing about my children." Meredith is holding Gordo back from attacking Anastasia, so while all grown-ups are fighting among themselves I secretly sneak off with Syl upstairs. I know for sure that this will be continuing for a long while.

Syl flinches as we hear mom's voice reach a high screech. Syl covers his ears as I carry him up the stairs to his bedroom. "Go pack your overnight bag Syl." He looks at me in question as he sits curled up on his superman bedspread. "You are going to be staying with Lo for tonight." His eyes water and he bites his lip just as mom's angry voice comes from the hallway followed by Gordo's anger controlled voice as he follows her. "There is no need for you to be witness to this." He does like it but nods his head as he makes his way over to his closet and start stuffing things in his superman backpack. I stand outside his room, to make sure that mom will not try and take him with her. Pressing the call button once I typed in Greg's home number, I hold the phone to my ear. I keep an eye on Syl as he shuffles around his room and an eye on the stairs for any movement.

"Chamber residence." I let out my breath as Tiago answers the phone. "Hello mister Chambers, this is Taylor." I winch as a door slams shut and the tinkling of breaking porcelain reach my ears. "What can I do for you Taylor?" I am sure that he heard the sounds and he went into business mode. "If it's not too much trouble I was wondering if Syl could spend the night at your house. My elusive mother decided to show up and is having an angry argument with Gordo over me and Syl." Now disembodied voices were floating up to the landing. A tug on my pant leg told me Syl was done packing. There is some murmuring on the line as Tiago no doubt is talking to Zachery. "He is more than welcome Taylor; do you need a place to stay as well?" I smile as I gently ruffle Syl's hair, "No, that won't be necessary Mister Chambers. I am more scared that she will just take Syl with her once she finds out he is asleep in his bed." There is some more undistinguishable murmuring on the line before Tiago sighs. "Very well Taylor, I trust that you will be safe tonight. Please don't hesitate to call if you feel threatened." I bite my lip as Syl's face falls as he learns I am not going with him. "I will Mister Chambers; I will leave the house as I hang up so we will be there in thirty minutes." Tiago agrees and hangs up the phone.