Chapter 15: Maui

November 22nd

   We had a week and a half off of school for Thanksgiving. Julian and I were trying to decide what we were going to do, since my family didn't want me joining them, and Julian didn't want me to have to spend Thanksgiving with strangers. We were halfway through a decision when the phone rang.

  "Yeah?" Julian sat up and answered it, rubbing his neck slightly.

  "Uhhh, no, not really. Seriously? That'd be awesome! Wow, cool, when? Uh, yeah we will. See you tomorrow! Thanks!" He hung up the phone after about three minutes and stood up.

  "What's up?" He walked to his closet and grabbed a suitcase.

  "Nick got a new girlfriend and he wants us to come to Hawaii with them! Isn't that awesome? We're flying out tomorrow so let's get ready..."

  "No way! Sweet, wow!"

    We quickly gathered all of our things together. Julian reminded me to bring my bathing suit and I felt happy once more. I brought a red two piece that had blue stars all over it. He gave me a wink when he saw me throw it in my suitcase. He just bunched up a pair of plain trunks.

   We went to a nearby drug store to pick up travel items like toothpaste and hairbands and razors. Of course, we also picked up a shit load of film and a few disposable cameras to take in the water (yes, they are waterproof!). I was excited to meet Nick's new girlfriend. I hoped she wasn't the jealous type. Nick and I are pretty close friends and we've often been mistaken as a couple.

The Plane  

Ugh. A twelve hour flight is always miserable, but having friends with you softens the blow of boredom. Nick's girlfriend's name was Monica. She had extremely long blonde hair, about down to her thighs. She was petite, about a head shorter than me, which is strange because Nick is practically a giant even to me, let alone her. Their kisses must've been awkward. I could imaging Nick bending over her and her standing on her tippy toes, stretching as far as they could. He would probably get annoyed with her in the year. She seemed really clingy and high pitched. Her voice was squeaky, and when Julian and I were alone, he would described her as Smurfette, which made me laugh.

  She was nice, of course. A sweetheart, really, just slightly.. in-your-face kinda. You know. Like some sort of over developed five-year-old, with her large breasts and thighs. Her cleavage perched high up on her chest, she was almost proud of it. It made me laugh, though, because I would catch Nick totally ogling at her tits and she wouldn't mind at all, just continuing her squeaky statement that no one really cared much about in the first place.

  The idea of three seventeen year olds and a sixteen year old (Monica) on a huge flight like this without parents seemed to confuse strangers. It would've confused me too, if I was an onlooker. Well, it actually still confuses and shocks me at how much I'd grown up in a matter of days after meeting Julian. I spent my whole life being protected from drugs and acohol and sex and violence, and a sudden jolt called a boy I fell in love with totally changed everything. People called it love at first sight, but I knew that wasn't true. Getting tossed into the arms of a stranger by my best friend didn't exactly make me think "Holy shit, I'm going to do everything with this kid". Not even a swoon escaped me, I just thought he was pretty interesting looking. I'd never really met anyone like him.

  Never would I think that I would fall in love and get pregnant and go everywhere and laugh and smoke and drink as much as we did. It was magic, really. At least, that's how it felt. That's how love feels for everybody. Even if it's just a crush. Everyone imagines themselves getting shot with an arrow by cupid. Even I did.