Chapter 8: Referee Dr. Mascot

~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~

Welcome to the eighth chapter of 'Details'.

A bit late, but I really wanted to do this:

Ho, ho, ho,

Merry Christmas!

Hugs,

0Restart

Thanks to Becky for cleaning up this chapter!

~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~

Chapter 8: Referee Dr. Mascot

Sang's P.O.V.

With a loud huff, Dr. Sean collapsed back onto the bed, one arm spread wide and the other thrown exasperatedly over his eyes. The chuckle that remained in his voice as he spoke contradicted his irritated pose. "For Christ's sake, Owen. Give a man a break, will ya?"

I kept my wide eyes on the doctor, feeling safe in looking at him as long as his eyes were covered. I was once again confused by Victor's friends and my reaction to them. My instinctual nervousness at being caught goofing off by Mr. Blackbourne was being negated by my previous experiences with both him and Dr. Sean. So far, they hadn't been angry with me, raised their voices at me, or threatened me in any way.

While every nerve in my body was reminding me to stay on alert, the voice in the back of my head telling me that there was nothing to fear was slowly convincing my tense muscles. I'd been afraid of Mr. Blackbourne before, and he'd proven me wrong then, too. I wanted to be wary so that I could prepare for any impending blow-out, but a part of me also wanted to feel comfortable in trusting that they wouldn't hurt me. My inner voices had reached a frustrating stalemate.

"I have allowed you your break, Dr. Green," Mr. Blackbourne said from the doorway, "but as with all things, even breaks must come to an end. Your responsibilities await you." He waved an arm in the general direction of the conference room. Dr. Sean huffed at him and slid his arm up to rest above his head on the mattress.

"Responsibilities!" he repeated dramatically and rolled his eyes before closing them. "I'm completely unneeded at this meeting of yours, and you know it!" I frowned at him and turned a little to look at Mr. Blackbourne for assistance, but he only raised an eyebrow at his friend.

"Of course you're not unneeded, Dr. Sean!" I reassured him quickly. My hand hovered over his arm to comfort him, but I didn't dare to lower it completely. I could feel Mr. Blackbourne's piercing gaze on me. Dr. Sean opened one eye and peeked sideways at me, his lips turning up into a crooked smile.

"Oh?" he said, his tone full of melodic mischief. "And how would you know that, Pumpkin? Is this your way of telling me that you need me?" He opened his other eye and sat up a little, leaning on his elbows. I moved back when I saw the spark in his green eyes. "We're still a bit young, but with your parents' permission I can ensure that you'll never have to be without me agai—"

"Dr. Green!" Mr. Blackbourne said sharply and lifted a hand to straighten his gray tie. "I'm sure that Miss Sorenson did not intend to incite a proposal from you just yet."

"P-proposal," I whispered in shock, eyes wide as I looked from Mr. Blackbourne to Dr. Sean and back. He couldn't be serious, could he? Surely that wasn't normal. It's Dr. Green, I reminded myself, Dr. Green likes to joke around. They weren't being serious. I let out a breath of relief at that realization.