The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 6

Comincia dall'inizio

            She knew something was happening and she had to leave. Her mind thought back to Searon and how he was doing leading the army by himself, but quickly shook her head knowing he would be fine. Fear enveloped her as she remembered how her mother had gotten sick. She could only hope that it wasn’t the same strange disease that was now claiming her.

            Another attempt to get to her feet was met unsuccessful. This time she made noise which awoke her tiger and the little girl sleeping against snowflake’s stomach. Snowflake got to her feet and stretched out her front legs while yawning before casually walking over to Starlyn. The tiger’s face rubbed up against Starlyn’s as she purred. 

            “Are you okay?” Charlotte asked walking up to her now.

            “I am feeling slightly under the weather, would you mind helping me up?” Starlyn asked rather ashamed.

            Charlotte held out her hand which Starlyn took gratefully and raised to her feet. Starlyn whispered her thanks to the young girl while pulling something from her back. She took a step closer to Charlotte who looked intrigued.

            “I made this for you. I hope you won’t have to use it on our journey, but it will keep you safe.” Starlyn said reaching out her hand.

            Charlotte took the short bow in her hand and looked at it in awe. It was such a beautiful craftsmanship, even with its quick design. Starlyn only spent a few hours on it after the young girl had gone to sleep. Still if there was one thing elves were good at, it would be crafting weapons.

            “Th- thank you.” Charlotte smiled.

            Starlyn took a step but faltered as she felt weak again. Her head was spinning and her stomach unsettling in various pains. She almost fell to the ground had Charlotte not came to catch her. For being such a young girl Charlotte was strong and Starlyn was grateful for it.

            “I thought elves don’t get sick.” Charlotte stated.

            “We’re not supposed to, but there are some things that cause us ill… some things that even we are not sure of.” Starlyn admitted.

            Snowflake walked closer to Starlyn and leaned down on its front legs offering a ride. Starlyn smiled at her friend and gracefully took it. She felt better holding onto the tiger. Soon she felt Charlotte’s arms around her stomach and she began to feel queasy again. Snowflake began sprinting east again.

            “Snowflake… stop.” Starlyn whispered.

            The tiger stopped in its tracks and tilted its head back to look at Starlyn now. Starlyn was sure her friend could sense the pain she was in and only wanted to comfort her. She petted behind Snowflake’s ear reassuring her.

            “Take us north. There’s a place up there we must visit first.” Starlyn announced.

            Snowflake declined her head and turned forward again changing direction to north. She quickly sprinted off trusting Starlyn’s direction. Starlyn smiled as she pictured the woman with blue hair. Perhaps she had answers that Starlyn needed.

            The gentle breeze across Starlyn’s soft face turned fowl as she caught a scent. Strangely it was stronger than any she had smelt before yet the scent was familiar. She knew what it was instantly as she whispered to Snowflake to slow to a gentle pace.  Luckily she told Snowflake just in time as two daerions jumped out of the forest shadows.