Chapter 4. Angels and Demons (revised)

This dedication is to Soumii that put so much effort into my book cover.  This is also to all the women that think there is never a light at the end of the tunnel.  There is!  For those of you who read this one Thank you so much, it means a lot. This one is short, but the next one makes up for it! 

Chapter 4. Angels and Demons

Katti ran for all she was worth towards her SUV, in her panic the older model Chevy had never looked like such a gleaming paradise. She was completely terrified, her heart was pounding so fast it felt like it wasn't beating at all, her breaths were catching on each other and she felt like she was choking already. Katti could hear him coming for her and dared not to risk looking back, she knew from experience that those that took time to look back were always the ones that were caught. “Run, run, don't look back, just twenty feet more! Oh Dear God, let me get in the car” all this was zipping through her mind so fast she just knew she could make it if she could only keep her feet moving. Katti could hear his evil sounding laughter as he came up closer to her and her adrenaline spiked yet again trying to make it past the pile of bricks that she had been plannng to build a wishing well with. “Just five feet, you can do it Katti” she was yelling at herself inside her head. Katti stumbled on a stray brick but kept moving forward. Katti had made it to the SUV and was struggling to get the door openend when she felt him reach her. Katti never stopped trying to open the door, she was so terrified it felt like she was using oven mitts on her hand. Katti had just gotten the handle to work when she felt him rip her back from the door pulling the door open with her as she was slammed down to the ground using the collar on her shirt.

“ I told you that you weren't going NOWHERE TIL I GET WHAT I DESERVE” Ray yelled at her as he stood over her. Ray threw the bottle at her and then launched the foot furthest away from her towards her face. “You will learn to treat me right if it kills you Katti, I love you and you will give me back what I deserve. I give you my all and you will give me yours!” Ray was so hell bent on what he thought he deserved he had seemingly lost touch with reality. Ray bent over Katti and grabbed her shirt now soaking with blood where his boot had connected with her shoulder and ear when she tried to scrunch up in defense of the kick. Katti started scrambling trying to get away and started to kick her feet around hoping that she could get her feet tangled up with his so maybe she could trip him. Katti by this time was screaming as loud as she could, no words just loud screaming that you could taste the fear in each octave coming out of her throat. The smells were about to choke her, the smell of her fear that she may not get help in time and his beer breath as he leaned over her and slapped her.

Ray moved his hand to her throat and told her in the strangest voice she had ever heard. “Katti I will have what is my due, you can't get rid of me. I am the only one you will ever be with for the rest of your short life. No one is going to stop me and the sooner you get with the program and take care of me and my needs and to hell with anyone else the sooner you will be happy.” Ray had started dragging her back towards the house telling her “We can do this in comfort in the house or you can service me out here for everyone to see, but you will service me and take care of my needs. No one else matters. I am the man and my needs always come first I dont care who else is sick, I AM THE MAN YOU WILL GIVE ME YOUR FIFTY CENTS OF THIS RELATIONSHIP!” He ended on a bellow that sounded to Katti as if he had a megahorn to her head. Katti still fighting kicked him in the knee and started pulling against him dropping down to make him have to drag dead weight all the while searching for anything she could use as a weapon. “You bitch, you will pay for that” Ray yelled after she connected with his knee. “ I told you “ whumph, another blow to her head “ I am going to get what I have been needing and deserve as your man” oomph, a kick to her hip “You are never going to put anyone ahead of me ever again” as he staggered and fell over that stray brick that almost got Katti earlier. Katti grabbed the brick with one hand and with everything she had left she balled up in on herself forcing him to extend him self and reach all of him towards her as he came closer Katti launched herself towards him and hit him with all the force she could muster in the head with the brick then she turned and ran as fast as she could towards her SUV and jumping in as quickly as she could she never heard the clatter of her cell phone hitting the driveway. It was hard for Katti to see through the blood but she was giving it her best efforts.

Katti had shut and locked the doors and was looking for the keys when she spied them dangling in the ignition she reached out to turn the ignition on when the whole world looked as if diamonds were flying round her. Katti looked up in a daze and realized through even more pain Ray had just thrown a brick through her window!

Katti tried again to turn the keys in the ignition and her left hand was laying on the horn praying someone would finally come to her aid. Katti was so terrified she kept thinking she was hearing things like people talking and a wailing sound thinking the whole time she would be dying as Ray reached inside and pulled her hair and was trying to drag her out the window of the auto. Katti felt the jagged glass cutting her shoulder and the back of her head as she still fought to stay free and the tearing of her skin was even worse as she put the SUV in reverse and stomped on the gas pedal. The acceleration caused her so much pain as he yanked her sideways and forward against the steering wheel still trying to drag her out of the shattered window. Katti felt like she was in slow motion as she stomped on the brakes threw the gears into drive and barrelled forwards and through the yard to get loose from him if she could. Ray had climbed up on the running boards and was not letting go as he kept yanking on her with one hand and trying to open the door with the other hand.

Katti could feel herself starting to lose consciousness when Ray smashed her face into the steering wheel and thought the red she was seeing was only more blood when she hears a voice very loudly yell.

“Stop what you are doing or I will shoot you dead” The voice scared her even more, she knew right then Ray was going to shoot her in the face.

“ Let the woman go and back away from the vehicle now or I will shoot you!” Katti felt more than saw Ray being jerked from the side of the car, and was in shock that she had made it through this ordeal. At least for now.

Katti tried to open the door and it refused to open and her confused mind wasn't remembering that she had locked the door. Katti kept trying to struggle with the door and a very low soothing voice with just a hint of gravel spoke to her. “Ma'am, please don't move just yet. The paramedics will be here in just a minute but I need you to stay inside til we have him locked up in the squad car.” Katti looked up and could only see a shape in the sunlight. “Holy mother!” the voice yelled. “ I need something here quick to stop some of this bleeding!”

That was the last sound Katti heard. She passed out.

Stay tuned, same bat channel and same bat time, for the wonders and fun to start unrolling!  Whew aren't you so glad the boys in blue showed up?  I was! 

So who called? Got any clues?