The lord looked at us and smiled apologetically, "I hope you may pardon my little daughter, she's just awakened last month. She still has trouble dealing with her hunger management."

"We come to see Lady Florentine," I said.

"I'm afraid you have to wait for a long while, she's off with some appointments," the vampire lord said. "So I would like to invite you to our dinner before my lady comes back."

"It's 12 o'clock," I said. "You have dinner at midnight?"

"What's wrong with that, my dear?" the man said politely. I guess I wasn't vampire enough to get that. But then Octavia gave me a nod of approval.

"We'd love to," she said.

Later, we learned that the man was Octavia's uncle-in-law, Robert. At the dining table, the host sat at the head of the table while his daughter sat opposite us. There were foods enough to feed an Arabian king. I was relieved when the servants lift the covers of our plates; there was nothing involved with blood. Except for one problem, the chief didn't know that I'm a vegetarian, so everything consisted of red juicy meat.

We introduced ourselves to Robert but still kept our covers. The man didn't ask any question, which was quite strange. He just told us about Ireland, about the Celtic warriors and Viking history. And instead of saying 'mud', he said, 'moouud' and instead of saying, 'gun' he said, 'goouun'. I fought back a smile every time I heard it.

Suddenly the maids placed glasses of red wine in front of us. The smell hit me immediately. I knew what was inside the glass without having to taste it. I guess my face was pretty green as I stared at the wineglass.

"What's the matter?" Robert asked when he noticed me.

I shook my head, "The drink looks ...um...delicious."

Then we all jumped up when the princess of this palace yelled at her maid.

"I told you I want O positive!" she burst out. "Is that very hard to understand?"

"I'm sorry, Miss. Charlene," the maid said, "The O blood has a universal demand."

"I don't care!" Charlene yelled. "Get me the O."

"Charlene, my dear," Robert warned. "Please, behave."

I wondered if the Lord had spent his long stretching life working on how to be a Zen master. He never raised his voice when he spoke to his daughter. I just couldn't believe how Octavia had such an adorable cousin.

"I'm not gonna eat until I get the blood I want," Charlene said and then stormed out of the dining hall.

Octavia and I exchanged look. Robert just sighed.

"Forgive me, my daughter is a bit of a spoiled kid," the father said. "It's because we love her so much. We had to wait for a long time until a baby born into our family. As you know, we're not as productive as the humans. And nothing can spoil a child rotten than the love of her old parents."

"You're not old," I said before I could stop myself. The vampire lord laughed whole-heartedly.

"I'm almost six hundred years, child," he said. "It's a miracle that we could give birth to Charlene at all. But it's a miracle to anyone of our kind, I guess."

I felt like he was also referring to our parents. I wasn't sure if he could sense something about us. But he didn't know that there was even a slighter chance to have babies with the humans, so I wasn't going to discuss the miracle of biology with him. Now I wonder if my dad had been alive, would he turn me into the next Charlene, too?