Chapter 16: Cain and Maria

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong?"

"Eh, just a stupid music recital on Friday in front of the whole school. Nothing to be worried about." I said, feeling like I would pass out of fear just by thinking about it.

"Really? I bet it's going to be epic. You're amazing at Viola!" Hunter said encouragingly.

I gave him the stink eye. How could he mistake my precious violin to a viola?

"I play the violin, not viola." I said in distaste.

Hunter threw his empty ice cream carton to the trash can near us.

"Viola, violin, guitar, cello, basically all instruments with strings... they all sound the same to me." He shot me that annoying but totally adorable grin of his and my heart just about jumped out of my rib cage.

"You're just saying that because you don't have a sophisticated taste in music." I grunted.

Hunter doubled over with laughter.

"Says the girl who has been reported to the police because the neighbors thought her singing voice were wails of murder."

My eyes widened upon hearing what he said.

"H-how did you know that?" I demanded, cheeks blazing. I was tempted to throw my Nutella ice cream on his infuriatingly gorgeous face but I controlled myself.

Ugh, could this day get any worse than this?

"I told you, you're not as inconspicuous as you think you are." He said with a wink.

"Ugh. Can we stop talking about my day now?"

Hunter snatched the spoon out of my hand and used it to help himself with my ice cream. I tried to shoot him an annoyed glare but my cheeks heated when I saw him lick the ice cream off my spoon. It made me think about that time we kissed. The fact that the couple near us were already groping each other in a not-so-park-friendly way made me even redder.

I snatched back my spoon from his grip and dug it beneath the carton.

"You've already eaten a whole gallon of rocky road." I reminded him.

Hunter pouted.

"So? I'm a growing boy. I need the nutrients." He looked offended, as if my observation hurt his feelings. He was such a big baby.

I rolled my eyes.

"A growing eighteen year old boy. Yeah, right."

I ate in silence while Hunter busied himself with his phone, occasionally giving my carton of ice cream a longing look and pouting at me.

"I'm so hungry." his voice was so sad and he was giving me that cute puppy dog eyed look that had the power to soften even the hardest of hearts.

"You're so annoying." I muttered with an eye roll. I pushed the carton over to him in defeat. His face instantly brightened, and with a huge grin, he happily dig in. So much for buying me ice cream.

"So... were you able to fix our school's security system?" I asked making my voice louder than necessary to drown out the moans coming from the oh-so-loving couple. I swear they hadn't once pause from their kissing session even to catch their breaths. They were starting to make me feel uncomfortable, especially now that the guy had his hands inside the girl's shirt. Gross.