Chapter 16: Cain and Maria

En başından başla

He reached out and grabbed my hand.

"Come on." He said, dragging me towards his car.

"Are you going to take me home now?" I asked, surprised by the sudden change in his mood and also a bit disappointed, I expected a little more cuddling.

"Nope." He said as he opened the door of his car, gesturing for me to hop in.

I was about to step inside when I caught a glimpse of his eyes, making me stop abruptly. They were sparkling with mischief and I knew him well enough now to know that there was an 87% chance that he was planning something that might probably land us in jail.

"We're not going to do something illegal, are we?" I meant to make my facial expression neutral but I was pretty sure it came off more like a suspicious glare.

Hunter gave me a dazzling smile.

"Not we. I am." He said, nodding his head towards the passenger seat. I hopped in hesitantly and sat at the leather seat.

"What exactly are you planning to do?"

Hunter bent down and leaned towards me, his face so close I could feel his warm breath against my cheeks. A corner of his lips turned up into a crooked smile.

"Steal your heart, of course." He said, then he reached out for my seatbelt and tucked me in.

***

If Hunter thought he could steal my heart just by buying me a pint of Nutella ice cream then boy, he was so right.

I probably should feel nervous now that he had already discovered my weakness but I honestly couldn't care less. He had already stolen my heart sans the ice cream so it didn't make much of a difference. It only added a couple more bonus points to his favor. And when I said couple, I meant a couple hundred bonus points. This Nutella ice cream was divine.

"Ice cream can make even the worst situation a lot better, don't you think?" Hunter said happily as he scooped what was left of his 1.75 quarts of rocky road. I looked at my own cup and saw I've barely reduced a quarter of its content. Typical.

"Can't disagree to that." I mumbled, shivering a little not just from the ice but also from the unusually chilly October breeze.

Hunter and I were sitting on one of the stone benches at the park near our neighborhood because for some reason, he didn't want to eat the ice cream inside the store.

Aside from the occasional joggers and the couple sitting a few benches from ours, we were the only people there.

"So, how has your day been so far, before the, uh, you-know-what?" asked Hunter, careful not to open can of worms to avoid upsetting me.

I forced the memory of another guy kissing me out of my mind and concentrated on the things that happened to me prior to that horrendous incident.

"Uhm, it's exhausting. We had an intense practice in Music class." I winced upon remembering how sucktastic my day had been even before I was kissed by that possibly-psycho-pervert-Mafia-member-in-a-Maserati douchebag. I almost forgot the horrible task Mr. Schultz had assigned to us. Hunter noticed the change in my expression and nudged me on the shoulder.