CANCER

I didn't know what I was going to do with this when I was so wrapped up with an incurable disease, a bone marrow cancer actually. I was so thin, and the last time I had a check-up with my doctor was two months ago. She told me then that I had to undergo a bone marrow transplant or else I would gonna die soon. And I was so loss of many red blood cells, too.

     For God's sake! I was only 25 years old to die that young.

     She also told me that I had to go out of the country, not that our country was incapable of healing me completely. I know all the doctors here were good, but she advised me that it was better abroad than here for the reason that I would undergo an operation that no one else would know and without the intervention of the paparazzi.

     Yes, the paparazzi, because I was the famous actress of this country.

     "You better get there, friend." Dra. Almonte said. Dra. Francesca Almonte was one of my childhood best friends who knew everything about me. She's not just my doctor. She added, "I'm advising you not just as your doctor but as your friend. Because I know how hard it was for you as an actress with those paparazzi following you around wherever you go, blabbing those malicious rumors about you, without even knowing the reason behind it."

     "Yeah, I know. I will do that. Thank you so much for your undying support for me. If it isn't because of you, I wouldn't be here, and I will not be able to have in peace with my father."

     "Nah, it's OK. That's what friends are for."

     Then we smiled at each other.

                                *****

     "Miss, please lie down on bed and I'll sedate you for a moment to inspect all your internal body organs in the ICU." The nurse told me. She was beautiful in her long straight blond hair that neatly pinned with nurse's cap atop her head. She was smiling at me while she took out a small syringe and a small vial of some liquid medicine from the inside of her uniform's pocket. I could see that there was an inner peace residing within her that I felt comfortable with.

     I was already here at the hospital suite in London.

     After a long moment of restful sleep, I found myself turning onto consciousness and staring at my favorite older brother's face. He seemed a little bit worried as he was anxiously stroking my hair.

     "I'm glad you're already awake now, sister. I'm so worried, you know?"

     I heard the creaking noise from my left side. When I turned to looked around, I saw my boyfriend standing up from the couch and took some steps toward the bed where I was lying, just as the same time the slam banged of the door as it swung open and the angry stance of my father emerged from them.

     "What the hell-- ?!" I heard my brother, Anthony Lyndon, burst out as he stood up suddenly at the sound.

     Who wouldn't be?

     I tried to sit up, leaning my back at the headboard of the hospital bed. My boyfriend, James Francis, helped me as he put the pillow behind my back. I mumbled my thanks to him. He just slightly smiled at me and kissed me on my forehead.

     "Aha!" I heard my father exclaimed exaggeratedly. We both froze and looked at him, dumbfounded.

     But my brother recovered almost instantly and spoke coldly. "What are you doing here... Daddy?" He put a vast heaviness to emphasize his last word.

     I flinched inwardly. Even though our father was like that, I understands his feelings. Because I was the main reason why he was acting like that.