Sleep Well, My Child

Start from the beginning

Misono blushed a bit. "My flashlight broke and I couldn't find another one!" He cleared his throat, obviously feeling a bit embarassed. "Anyway, I am here because I heard one of the children cry and wanted to check, but I guess you were here before."

"Ah, right," Lily said, "It was just a nightmare, nothing for you to worry about, Misono. You should go back to bed since you have to get up early." He stood up and forced his mouth into a smile. "I guess I should be heading to bed now too."

He knew that Misono was studying his face intently and he just hoped that he wouldn't realize just how fake his smile was.

"Lily, what's wrong?"

Of course Misono would have noticed something was up. But he couldn't drag him even more into this.

"Hm? It's nothing, Misono, everything is okay. Just go back to your room, it's late and you need your energy for tomorrow."

While saying this he put a hand on the boy's back and pushed him gently forward. All the while the smile didn't leave his face.
Misono seemed like he knew something was up, but he still let himself be led back to his room by Lily.
When they arrived at his room Lily opened the door for him and ushered him inside. He was about to turn around and leave, needing to be alone. He couldn't keep that smile up for much longer.
It was then that Misono spoke up again.

"Lily."

He would just stay like this with his back turned towards Misono.
Like this nothing could happen.
He could leave at any moment.

"Snow Lily."

Misono was calling him by the name he had given him.
A shiver ran down his spine as he turned around.
Just smile. Keep it up. He won't notice.

"What's wrong?"

Misono's voice was filled with concern.

"It's nothing. Why do you ask?"

Now, for the first time that night, Lily looked into Misono's eyes.
They were filled with worry, concern and a deep sadness and they were focused only on him.

"You're crying."

He was crying?
He brought a hand up to his cheek and could feel how wet it was.
Lily could feel his smile falter until finally his whole facade shattered.
More tears started to flow down his cheeks and his legs gave out. He slowly sank to the floor in front of Misono and covered his face with his hands, bending his head downward.

"Misono... I can't... I can't save them..."

One sob after another left his is throat as a feeling of helplessness and futility spread throughout his body.
He couldn't stop even if he wanted to. The dam was broken and all the past years of him turning children into his subclass came rushing back to him.

He felt Misono move in front of him and suddenly he was embraced by a pair of small arms and the other's body was pressed against his.
Misono's head was lying on his shoulder and Lily could hear him whispering to him.

"It's okay, Lily. You did nothing wrong. It's okay."

These words helped him push away the helplessness and fear for a moment and he slowly raised his arms to wrap around the other's body.
They stayed like this for what felt like an eternity to Lily.
He was just holding Misono, feeling his warmth. It was as if he was keeping him stable, grounded.
He could ignore the regret and fear for now.

When Misono lifted his head from his shoulder and stood up, Lily was about to break down again.
But when he felt a hand holding his own he looked up at Misono's face. The face that was usually scrunched up in anger or annoyance was showing a soft look, filled with so much love directed at him that Lily felt as if his heart stopped beating for a second.

"Come."

Misono pulled him up and led him inside his room. He closed the doors and then walked towards his bed, all the while never letting go of Lily's hand. He sat down and pulled Lily with him, the two of them sitting so close to each other that their arms were touching.
They just sat there for a few moments before Lily felt like he needed to say something.
He needed to tell Misono what was going on, he had to tell him, as much as it pained him to say it out loud.

"Misono, I..."

"It's okay."

"Huh?"

Misono let out a quiet sigh and leaned against Lily with his whole body, his head resting against Lily's upper arm.

"You don't have to say anything. You're worried about the children. I know how much it pains you when they cry and have nightmares."

He let himself fall back onto the bed and slipped under the covers. After that he lifted one corner of the blanket up and looked at Lily expectantly.
When Lily hesitated, Misono took his hand and pulled him under the covers and immediately covered them both with the blanket.

Misono was lying directly in front of him, his body radiating warmth and Lily felt himself yearning for that warmth. He needed to hold it, protect it from everything that tried to hurt it.
His body moved on instinct and suddenly he was hugging Misono to his chest, chin resting on top of his head.
The smaller boy didn't protest as he was pulled into the embrace and Lily was unbelievably grateful for that.
After a moment he could feel how Misono encircled him with his own arms and something ignited inside of him. There was a warmth spreading through his body that he hadn't felt in a long time.

He felt accepted, understood.
He didn't have to tell Misono in every detail what he was afraid of. The boy had picked up on all the small things and had understood what was going on. He had told him it was not his fault.
That he had done nothing wrong.
And that was exactly what Lily had been longing to hear for so long.

Only now did he notice that tears had started to flow from his eyes again.
He pressed a kiss on top of Misono's hair, not bothering to wipe the tears away.

"Thank you. Thank you so much, Misono," he whispered.

By the way he was breathing, Lily could tell that Misono was already asleep and didn't hear what he just said, but that didn't matter. He would be able to tell him over and over again as long as they were bound together.
He closed his eyes and held Misono a bit closer.
He would never let Misono get hurt. He'd always protect him. And all the other children.

He would protect his family.