Chapter 15

happy holidays to whoever celebrates it!!! we basically don't, but I guess I'm alright with it. enjoy this chapter <3

<====================>

It was just the four of us now. And ever since Tay's murder, crazy things happened more frequently. It was obvious that he was trying to scare us into making bad decisions.

"We need to get out there and take those down. They're freaking me out." Alex said, referring to the many body parts that hung from the tree branches around the facility. Arms, legs, you name it.

It was a gruesome sight and honestly it freaked me out as well, especially once I realized that the sick bastard had probably touched Hannah too. I mean, sure, she was dead, but that didn't mean that her body needed to be mutilated for some crazy psycho's entertainment.

"I ain't going out there, like ever. I'm not leaving this building anymore." Vic then said, firmly standing his ground.

"But the fire signal—" Kellin then started. But before he could continue, he was already interrupted again.

"Fuck that!" Vic snapped. "It's a waste of time, Kellin. If this is where I die, then so be it. But I will not die at the hand of that asshole. I refuse." He was starting to get pretty worked up, but I couldn't blame him. We had all been a bit extra on edge for the past few days.

"What are we supposed to do then? We can't just leave it all hanging there. Imagine what it smells like!" Alex then protested.

"Well if you wanna go out there, be my guest. . . just don't forget to lock up." And with those last words, Vic left the mess hall and went upstairs, presumably to his room.

I sighed as I looked back towards Alex and Kellin. Alex was still staring out of the barred window while Kellin paced around, deep in thought. I understood Alex's side of it, but going outside just to clean up was too risky.

We were lucky enough as it was that Jared hadn't started this earlier. He had the chance to literally kill all of us in the first few days that we had been here. Which left me wondering why he hadn't.

A lot of things he did left me wondering. I mean, why did he even do any of it? Why did he kill the flight captain? Why did he purposely crash the plane? Did anyone help him? Was it some sort of escape plan? Was it revenge? Did he even really have a reason?

Sadly there wasn't much point in thinking about these things. It wasn't like anyone had the answers. And being alone with such thoughts was beginning to drive me insane.

Kellin and Alex weren't talking, though, so I decided to go look how Vic was doing after his little outburst. I went upstairs and walked straight into his room, not really remembering to knock.

"Are you okay?" I immediately asked him after I closed the door behind me. He was sitting on his bed, head in his hands, fingers curled tightly into his hair.

"Fuck." He breathed, before letting go of his hair and leaning back against the wall. "Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry about my little freak out back there." He then added as he looked at me.

"It's okay, I get it." I said, sitting down beside him.

"I miss my family." Vic then told me, after a long moment of silence. "I wonder how they're dealing with it. I mean, do they even know about it, though? I wonder that a lot. . . and it drives me crazy. I miss my brother most of all. It's strange to be without him. He may be the younger one, but he's always been the one who kept us all grounded, especially me. He's a great guy."

I watched Vic for a moment as he just talked. He smiled a little at the mention of his own brother, and it made me smile too. "He sounds a little like my brother." I then said to him.

"Are you and your family close?" He asked.

I nodded slowly. "Yeah, well, I don't know much about my real dad, but my stepdad is pretty cool, we're close. And my mum still pampers the hell out of us, but my little brother loves it. I miss them too."

Vic sighed deeply as he looked at nothing in particular in front of him. "I wonder what the holidays will be like for them." He said, frowning slightly. "Mama would always make a big deal out of spending Christmas with the family. I didn't mind, though, it's fun."

I laughed a little and nodded, instantly remembering how my own mum did the exact same, basically. "I don't get to see my family all too often, so Christmas is a pretty big deal for us as well." I told Vic. "Every year we have the same argument, though. . . my brother always wants to have tacos during Christmas time, because it's his favorite. But every year my mum refuses. According to her, it's not suitable as a Christmas dinner."

Vic laughed at that too. "I love tacos." He exclaimed happily. "I'm sure going to miss having them. My mama makes the best tacos in the world."

I took a hold of Vic's hand as it rested on his lap and gave it a reassuring squeeze before lacing my fingers with his. "Maybe you'll have them again soon." I softly said to him.

He snorted lightly in response. "Sure, and then you and your family could come over for dinner. Heck, you can even bring your husband."

The way the words left his lips sounded bitter, but I couldn't blame him. The mere mention of Oliver didn't make me feel very good at that point either. He wasn't to blame for that, though.

"Do you miss him?" Vic then suddenly asked, looking at me with his eyebrows knitted together.

I sighed deeply and looked away, down at my lap. "Well, I- I mean, he's my husband, so of course." And I instantly felt terrible for having to think about my answer. Any normal person would be able to word a simple yes or no within seconds, but me? I had completely lost the plot.

"Oh." Was all Vic initially said to my reply. "Sorry, it was a stupid question." He then added moments later.

I frowned as I faced him again. "Why would you say that?" I asked curiously.

He shrugged in response. "It's nothing. I was just thinking.. . never mind, it's stupid."

At that point I was still holding his hand. He hadn't let go, and neither had I, so I gave it another reassuring squeeze. "Tell me." I encouraged him softly. I really did want to know what he was thinking.

"Well, like. . . if we do get off this island, what will become of us?"

Vic looked at me with such pleading, desperate eyes. He looked at me like a lost puppy and it made me want to tell him whatever he needed to hear to make him feel better. But I wanted to be honest with him, even though I wasn't even sure how to answer his question in the first place.

Then, as if out of nowhere, I heard a loud ear-piercing noise. It was there, it became louder, and within seconds it was almost gone again. But I knew exactly what it was.

"What was that?" Vic then asked.

An uncontrollable grin spread across my face as I hopped off the bed. "That was an air force jet plane." I simply told him before I left the room.

I walked downstairs, Vic trailing behind me as we met up with Kellin and Alex. "Did you guys hear that?" Kellin asked, looking a little confused.

I just nodded and told him that I had recognized it as the sound of an F-16 jet. "So does that mean that the army is looking for us?" Alex then asked, his voice filled with hope and his eyes practically glistening with it.

"I sure hope so. I mean, it flew right past us, but maybe it saw something- maybe it spotted the wreckage."