Chapter 125...

A bright glow poured from the headlights of Loretta as it rode down the darken streets of Garner, it’s light cascading over the objects hidden within. 

Scotty’s arm had been draped over your shoulders, while one hand clung to the steering wheel. His eyes were locked on the road ahead of him, while his lips spoke the words that made you smile.

Your hand was clasped onto the hand that was hanging down by your shoulder, while you stared over at Scotty. 

“so you just got a text from me” you motioned air quotes “saying to meet me at Lake Benson instead?” you continued. He nodded, licking his lips quickly before glancing at you for the briefest second. “yeah it said ‘change of plans meet me at Lake Benson, don’t text back, mom is coming’” He recited the words. Your face scrunched up “I honestly don’t know how she could’ve got my phone, it was practically glued to my hand all day” you shook your head. “well there had to be a point where you weren’t with your phone” he shrugged, as his fingers tapped against his turn signal and he took a sharp left. Your eyes looked around the interior of the truck, trying to figure out if there really was a point you were away from your phone. “what time did you get the text at?” you asked absentmindedly. Scotty pulled his arm away from your shoulders and leaned forward. His fingers unlatched the glove compartment, and he pulled out his phone. “can you check for me?” he asked, handing it towards you. You nodded, as you grabbed a hold of the phone and unlocked it.

Going to his inbox a smile subconsciously slipped onto your lips as you seen Mrs. (your name) McCreery at the very top. “whatcha smiling about?” Scotty asked, eyes intently on the road. “Mrs. (your name) McCreery?” you asked, as you turned and looked at him. Scotty smiled widely and even though it was dark, you swear you could see the light shade of pink resting on his cheeks. “well, ya know, might as well have it there early” he chuckled. You just quietly laughed as you clicked on the name. A second later a list of text messages appeared on the screen. The very last one stated ‘change of plans, meet me at Lake Benson, don’t text back, moms coming’, it had been read at 8:36. 

“8:36, what was I doing at 8:36?” you spoke quietly. Out of the corner of your eye you could see a smirk make its way onto Scotty’s face. “knowing you, probably stuffing your face”. You almost glared at him but stopped once you recollected the night’s events. “SCOTTY! YOU’RE A GENIUS!” you all but yelled. “I am?” he asked, eyebrows raised. “yes! I remember now! I was having dinner at that time! Callie was no where to be found and my mom sent me up to go get her and when I walked upstairs she was just leaving my room! And my phone was in there!” you said happily, as you clapped your hands together. Scotty reached over, eyes still on the road ahead, and grabbed both your hands in one of his. “okay, now that’s solved we can relax” he said, smiling widely. You nodded, as you relaxed back into your seat and looked out the window at the 2 am sky. The stars were looking more brilliant than they ever have. Then your eyes suddenly widened. “no we can’t Scotty” you looked towards him. “why not?” he asked. “I still don’t know who sent me that text, about going to Lake Benson. It was an unknown number” you stated. “well we may never know” he spoke softly, as he finally pulled into his family driveway. “yeah” you said sullenly. After he put the truck in park and shut the engine off, Scotty’s hand found yours “cheer up Charlie” he said quietly. You looked up towards him and seen the puppy eyes he was giving you. “theres one thing to be happy about” he said, “and whats that?”. Scotty smiled as he got closer to you “Callie’s leaving today”. 

"This is why I love you" you whispered as you leaned in slightly. “you love me because I know when your evil cousin is leaving?" he asked, cocking a brow. You shook your head. “no, because you know how to make me smile" and with that you leaned in and kissed him. “Dagum" he mumbled against your lips, and a smile seemingly spread across both of your faces as you pulled away.