Chapter 40...

A week or so had past, and it was finally December. The holiday season was approaching fast, but you definitely weren’t ready for it.

Laying there in your bed, you had your laptop resting on your stomach as you surfed numerous sites. The soft sounding upbeat melody of country music flowed out of the laptop speakers and filled the room. A soft knocking sounding came from the door than, “come in” you mumbled still having your full attention on the computer screen. The door slowly creaked open, and your dad appeared behind it. He walked in and made his way over to your bed, taking a seat on the end of it, watching out for your feet. “hey bud” he said “whats up?” you asked taking your gaze off the laptop “well i was wondering if you wanted to come with me to pick out a Christmas tree?” he asked “who’s all going?” you asked raising your eyebrows slightly “it’d just be you and me” he said “okay, sure, when we leaving?” you asked, watching as your dad got up and headed for the door “umm in like ten minutes, so get dressed and hurry up, and dress warm” he said smiling at you as he shut your door.

Looking back at the screen before you, you exited out of everything, then carefully shut the top of the laptop down and picked it up off your stomach and set it beside you on the bed. Moving your legs over the edge of the bed, you got up and stretched for a second relaxing the muscles that had been laying in the same position for the last half an hour. Then slowly you made your way over to your dresser and began to search for the warmest clothes you could find.

After finding what you needed and getting dressed, you had a good five minutes to kill. Hopping back onto your bed you picked up your phone and began to look through it. Soon enough your mind had wandered on its own, all you could think about was about how it was just gonna be you and your dad picking out a tree this time. Usually it was always him, you and your sister, but this time it was just you. You had never gotten to go with your dad alone, your sister had got to do so a few times, before you were born and the times you were sick when they wanted to get the tree, but this time it was your turn.

“ready to go?” you heard, as you came out of your trance. Looking over you found your dad leaning against the door frame “sweetie, get your head out of the clouds and stop day dreaming about your boyfriend Scotty, and come on” your dad said with a chuckle “oooh i’m gonna get you for that one!” you yelled getting off your bed “only if ya can catch me” your dad said running away from the door and heading downstairs, quickly you ran out your door. Making your way downstairs, you turned the corner and instead of you getting your dad, he got you, as he picked you up and through you carefully on the couch, he then began to tickle you “dad, stop it, stop it!” you said between laughs “not until you say uncle” he said “uncle, uncle, uncle!” you said quickly. He stopped tickling you and patted your arm “come on” he said. Just then your mom walked out of the kitchen “whats going on in here?” she asked putting her hands upon her hips “nothing” your dad and you said in unison “oh just get going you two” she laughed. Turning around you both headed for the front door, grabbing your jackets on the way, you two walked out of the house and walked over to the driveway. Someone standing there by your car made you stop in your tracks, your dad slowly turned around “you coming?” he asked, quickly you walked up to him “why is Scotty out here?” you whispered to your dad “oh well i invited him and his dad to come along, they need a tree too” your dad said shrugging his shoulders slightly “oh” was all you could say “oh just come on, bud, this is gonna be fun” he said wrapping his arm around your shoulder and pulling you along.

Once you two reached the car, your dad pushed you over towards Scotty, a little too hard that is, as you rammed right into Scotty. Catching his balance, Scotty wrapped his arms around you, stopping you from falling onto the ground “oops, sorry” you said looking up at him “it’s alright” Scotty said winking at you, then slowly letting you go as he walked over to his dads truck and climbed in. “seriously, dad, seriously” you thought to yourself as you walked to the passenger side of your car and climbed in. “sorry, bud” you dad said as he was buckling his seat belt “you did that on purpose” you mumbled at him “i dont know what your talking about” your dad said turning around in his seat, as he began to back out of the driveway. Looking out the window, you looked over at the McCreery;s truck, Mike McCreery was looking at you. Showing him a small smile, he nodded his head to you and smiled back. Then you looked down at your lap as you just tried to focus on your fingers and not on anyone else.