Chapter One

Merida crouched low, waiting for her prey to reveal itself. A sickly doe, who had been tailing the herd for weeks now, barely surviving. Merida didn't need the doe to eat, she really didn't need to eat at all. It was more of a mercy.

The doe's head popped out of the fern, looking around. Beside it, a smaller version of her poked it's head out next to it's mother.

It's mother...

Merida loosed the arrow, deliberately missing, and watched the doe and her fawn sprint away. Something about a mother tickled at her memory, but she just couldn't put her finger on what that memory was. Ever since Merida had awoken in the circle of stones centuries ago, she had wanted -- no, needed -- to know what her missing memories were. It drove her nuts.

She turned around to see a black grizzly bear staring at her, head cocked, eyes wide, holding a fish in it's mouth. 

"What do ye want?" Merida said. 

The bear said nothing, just stared at her. 

She groaned. Another bear. Bears seemed to follow her wherever she went. One even followed her into the African Jungle once. 

"All right, come along, but don't slow me down. I need to get back."

Merida turned away, walking back the way that she had come. Soon enough, she came to a castle standing on a cliffside, slowly crumbling to the wears of time. No one had found it, it just stayed on that cliffside, a relic from another age. Merida carefully walked the fragile bridge and into the once-great entry hall. Pillagers from years before had taken anything of value, so all that was left was a few bricks, and the odd wooden plank. Merida had made it her home.

She turned around, the bear was still there, and it still had that fish in its mouth. She just rolled her eyes, and climbed up the crumbled staircase, the only one still intact. Surprisingly, the bear didn't break anything, it just followed her. Up through the stairs, and through the narrow hallways, the bear followed her, making no noise. Normally, bears lost interest when things got too boring, but this one was obviously different. 

Entering into a small room, Merida lit the torches with a wave of her hand. Centuries of practice had left her adept with her gifts. The bear dropped the fish, and Merida finally realized that it was not a fish, but a note.

She picked it up.

Hello, Spirit, the note read.

I hope that Björn didn't trouble you while delivering this to you. He can be quite annoying at times. 

You are wondering who this is from. You will have to wait a little longer, Little Sister, for wicked things are coming your way. I normally make it a habit not to get involved in these things, but there is one thing that I cannot ignore. You feel it too. Many Spirits are disappearing. You are as nearly as ancient as the hills which you inhabit. But you are still young in your powers. 

Many of the ancient Spirits are gone. In your youth, you explored them, cared for them, and eventually, became one of them. Will-o'-the-whisps, you called them. Leaders to one's Fate. They owe their prolonged existence to you, but as time went on, and as Man forgot them, they, one by one, disappeared, until only you are left. 

Do not mistake what I am trying to say. You, Spirit of Fire, are not a will-o'-the-wisp. You are much, much greater than you can ever imagine. 

Use Björn to help you, for you need as much help as you can get. Gather your gear for the cold, Little Sister. You are going to need it.

The note was unsigned.