Twelve

Chasing after someone who doesn't want to be caught is extremely difficult, but I know that I have to do it.

   I chased after Zach and couldn't catch him, which led to the ultimate distaster. I've tried to chase after many dreams that have crumbled the second I was just approaching them, right as they became close enough to touch.

   Now I must chase Gabriel, both metaphorically and literally. I stayed up until three in the morning to read every single page he's written, and I really need to watch over him and make sure that he's actually as fine as he says. That's the metaphorical part.

   I physically need to chase him because I've calculated, and today is one of the days where he doesn't come to school. And if he doesn't come to me, I have to go to him. That's how friendship works. Plus, I really need to know where he disappears to. It could be extremely important.

   Instead of heading to the school like I normally do, I slowly drive around the street he lives on, keeping a careful watch on his house. Could the neighbors count this as a case of stalking? They probably could. Could they call the police? They most likely would. But the real question is: could I convince the cops that I'm playing hooky to make sure that my friend is doing alright and that they should let me go? I most likely couldn't.

   Welcome to Cassidy's Completely Smart, One Hundred Percent Fool-Proof Plans for Skipping School and Staking Out Houses Class, everyone. I hope you all take good notes.

   As I continue to drive around the neighborhood, I see Gabriel beginning to walk out of the house, right when my car is slowly creeping around it.

   The thing that makes it worse is that he's seen it at school. Heck, he's been inside of it before. He'll know that it's me if he sees it.

   Ever so slowly, I tap my foot against the gas. Making sure that no cars are backing out of driveways, I begin pressing it down further.

   And then I begin flying down the street, approaching seventy miles an hour with my tires squealing as I turn corners. My heart is pounding in my chest as I finally begin to slow down. Looking back in the direction that I came from, I see him walking down the street.

   I don't think he saw me.

   Sighing with relief, I begin to circle the other way, hoping that I won't meet up with him again. There are driving laws in place, and I think I just broke a couple. I don't want to be in the middle of the road and break a couple more.

   Finally, I make my way back around to where I was before, right at Gabriel's house. Then I turn in the same direction that he did, hoping that I can catch up to him in time.

   Suddenly, my phone rings, blaring whatever Eminem song Pete chose as his ringtone. I decide to answer the call. "Hello?"

   "Why aren't you at school yet?" asks Pete. "What are you doing?"

   "I'm---um, I'm at home," I say, coming up with the quickest lie I can. "I'm sick. I don't think that I can come to school today." I fake cough a few times as realistically as I can.

   "Cassidy, I can see your vehicle. And you're an awful liar, you know that?" I can hear the amusement in his tone.

   "Ah. See, there's a funny story about that..." I say, faltering. Pete laughs in my ear, and I realize that I'm a worse liar than I thought. "How about we just never speak of this again?" I finally ask.

   "Okay. And I'll cover for you. I just want to know everything about what the heck you're doing later."

   "Thanks, Pete. You're the best."