Love is Forever

Finally, lunch! Jefferson's lesson sucked. All first day lessons suck. It's always just 'how was your vacation', et cetera. Every hour the same stories, the same introductions, the same fake laughs. I take a deep breath once me and Kate walk outside.
A certain blue haired punk runs up to me and picks me up. I freeze by Chloe's sudden embrace.

"Wow, Max you're tense what's up?"

She puts me down and gives me a dead serious look. I don't get that look from her very often. Only when she really knows something is up with me.
There's so many things I want to confess to her but I can't.
Kate walks over to Brooke and Alyssa when she notices the awkward tension.
Thanks, Kate.

"Well? Spit it out already," Chloe says gently nudging my arm.

"I... I don't know just school stuff I guess."

"Max, I know when you're lying, and right now you're hella lying, harder than ever before."

I stare at the ground.
I can't look her in the eyes without drowning into them. Why do I have this crush? It seems to get worse the more I'm around her.

"Ok, you don't want to talk about it. You wanna go to the two whales and grab some pancakes for lunch? That ought to cheer you up."

I look up and look her directly in her beautiful blue eyes.

"I would love that. I promise I'll tell you one day, I'm just really confused at the moment."

She swings her keys around her finger, as she asks me one last question.

"You know I'm always here for you, right?"

"I know Chè... but I don't feel like having one of those dead serious conversations right now."

Once again, I see her blush when I use her nickname. She was really blushing, right? I shake my head. No, I must be imagining things again.
Why do you keep thinking she doesn't like you? Shut up brain, I have no chance with her. She's my best friend, and that's it! Max, you have always wanted more than that, and you know it!
I shake my head aggresivly trying to shut up the voice in my head.
Chloe grabs me by my shoulders and pushes me against the truck.

"Max, tell me what's wrong. Clearly something is bothering you! Is it me?"

"What no... no!" I almost yell.

She frowns and comes closer.

"Stop fucking lying to me Maxine Caulfield!"

I stare at the ground. Chloe grabs my chin and lifts my head to meet her eyes.

"Please, I don't want to talk about it," I say defeated.

Her grip on my shoulders loosens and she looks at me with compassion.

"Look, I just can't stand seeing you broken like this Max. Get in."

She opens the car door and I step in without saying another word.
Get your act together! If you keep acting like this Chloe will find out.

"Chloe, I'm sorry."

"No Max it's ok... I just thought we would always share everything. Good or bad."

"We do! This is just very personal... I need time, ok?"

"What could be so personal you can't even share it with me? We're basically married Max!"

I chuckle as Chloe grabs my hand.
Now I'm blushing, fuck, no feelings, stop feeling!

"I know. Let's eat first ok?"

"Of course m'lady."

We pull up and Chloe's face goes pale, as she sees a familiar face leaving a camper in the parking lot, next to the Two Whales.

"Get down!"

Chloe and I duck down. It's Rachel and some random guy.
Rachel gives the guy a hug that's way too friendly, and a pasionate kiss as they part.

"What the fuck! Frank really?!" Chloe is enraged and slams the door shut after Rachel gets in the camper.

"She's fucking Frank, really?!"

She hits her dashboard and leaves blood marks. I grab her arms to prevent her from continuing to hurt herself. To my surprise, she doesn't get mad or try to get free from my grip. She never let me do this before.
Besides me acting weird I haven't noticed Chloe has been acting strange too.

"Chloe calm down... who is Frank?"

"Our dealer."

I don't know how to feel now. One part of me is happy that Chloe is angry at Rachel, but the other part feels sorry for Chloe. Chloe throws herself into my arms and starts sobbing.
I haven't seen her this vulnerable in ages. I hold her close to me and comfort her. This feels nice. Well, it's not nice that my best friend slash crush is crying, but this is the first moment where I forget she's my crush and I act like my normal self again.
Chloe looks up at me and we stare into eachother's eyes. She comes closer as I feel myself doing the same. Our lips touch. The world around me dissapears. It's just me and Chloe.

We part and take a deep breath at the same time.

"Fuck I'm so sorry... just forget this ever happened."

Chloe gets out of the car trying to hide her embarrassment. I can't move.
That kiss. It felt real... so real why would she take it back like that. Why didn't I stop her? I should've said something. I still can, she's in the diner. A few minutes pass as I keep replaying the kiss in my head. Her soft lips touching mine.
Was it just because she was sad about Rachel that she kissed me?
No, I am not going to overthink it and ruin this moment. I get out of the car and rush into the diner.
Chloe is sitting in our usual booth, her hands covering her face. Is she regretting the kiss? No, stop thinking Max. I decide to order for both of us.

"Hey Max what's up with you, you look so happy?"

"Hey Joyce, and, uh, just the smell of pancakes and home-cooked waffles."

"Oh no honey, my food does indeed put smiles on peoples faces but you... you're in love aren't you?"

I try to hide my red cheeks by staring at the ground.
"I don't need the details, but I'm happy for you."

"Thanks Joyce."

"What's it going to be?"

"Pancakes for both me and Chloe."

"Coming right up."

I thank Joyce one more time before heading towards my booth.
I hesitate to tell Chloe I actually like her as more than a friend, and so I just sit down and look at her.
She looks so broken.
Did Rachel really mean so much to her? What am I saying? Of course she does.
She's her "angel" after all.
But that might change soon.