2 Cool 4 School

Chloe pulls up at our school. To be honest, school isn't that bad. The teachers focus on us and help us as much as they can. As for the other students, most of them are fine. We got Victoria Chase- she's kind of a bitch towards Kate, but I told her to back off.

Since we are both in the Vortex club, she doesn't start shit with me. Chloe, though, that's a whole diffrent story. Chloe isn't in the Vortex club out of free choice. She thinks it's bullshit and always complains to me that I should leave yet she doesn't say those things to Rachel. Rachel is also a member. We aren't close. The only thing that bonds us is Chloe. There's this friend enemy kind of vibe between me and Rachel.

I heard a lot of rumors about her regarding a sexual relationship with Mister Jefferson. I wouldn't blame her, to be fair, he's a very good looking guy. Besides, Rachel doesn't seem like the type who could pass these classes, so the chance of these rumors being true is very big.

"Yo Max!" Chloe's touch snaps me out of my string of thoughts. I shake my head and make eye contact with Chloe.
Did her eyes get even more beautiful?
Snap out of it, Caulfield.
"Sorry, zoned out again."
I quickly try to focus my sight on something else. That bench, yes, very interesting.

"Hey, are you ok? You seem a bit distracted lately."

Of course I am distracted have you seen yourself?
I lie.
"Yeah... no It's just I can't believe it's September again."
Chloe leans back in her car seat, while staring at the school entrance.
"I know... I miss summer already."

"Me too, Chè."

Chloe's cheeks turn red. She quickly tries to hide it by looking away.
Was she blushing? I must be imagining things.
A loud bang from the car door startles me and Chloe.
Nathan Prescott is standing next to the window looking pissed, as always. Chloe returns a pissed off face, which she almost always has, besides when she's hanging with me or Rachel. She rolls down her window.

"What do you want Nate?"
Nathan leans into the car.
"My fucking money."

"I told you I don't have it yet."

He grabs Chloe by her jacket and pulls her closer to him. "Listen up Punk.. If you don't get me my money..."
I cut Nathan off.
"Nathan, back off!"

"Oh shit, hey Max... You shouldn't be protecting this deadbeat punk."

He glares at Chloe and releases her.
I can see Chloe balding her fists ready to strike. Before she does I grab her hand and intertwine our fingers as a sign she needs to calm down.
"She'll get you your money, just back off."

"I don't know what you see in her, but fine. You have untill the end of the month Price."
Nathan leaves, whistling a happy tune while walking towards the entrance.

I realize I'm still holding Chloe's hand and quickly release it. We both turn red and look the other direction. Oh fuck. Awkward silence. It feels like an enternity.
The bell rings and I rush out of the car.
Saved by the bell, thank god. Chloe lights up a cigarette as she follows me with her eyes.
"I'll see you in class!" Chloe screams.
Don't look back, don't look back. Fuck I am looking back. I turn around, smile and wave at Chloe while walking backwards. I crash into someone and hear a familiar voice.
"Hey watch... Max?"
Fuck me.
"Oh, hey, Warren."
I try to keep my voice as monotone as possible. He holds his hand out to me. I get up on my own. I might seem like a bitch, but any sign of affection makes Warren think I'd jump into bed with him. He awkwardly rubs his neck.
"So how was your vacation?"
No. Dude, really!
"I should kinda go to class?"

"Oh, yeah, I totally forgot. Will I see you later?"

"Uh, yeah sure."
I run off to class. Fuck, did I agree?
Well, at least I wont have to see Chloe being all close and personal with Rachel. Besides I'll probably be chatting up Kate. This day has been a disaster so far. My parents are leaving, the awkward sexual tension with Chloe, Nathan being Nathan and Warren being the creep he turned into after crushing on me. This day can't get any worse. Good, class didn't start yet. I sit down in the back.
Finally... some peace and quiet.
I see some familiar faces walking into Jefferson's classroom. Victoria and her pack of Vortex members walk in.
She gives me a wink and a smile, and I'm not sure whether it's real or fake.

"Oh hey Maxine."
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
"Hey Rachel."
I turn around and see Rachel standing behind me in her standard punk outfit.

"Where is Chloe?"

"Smoking a 'cigarette' outside."

"Without me?"

I don't answer and put in my ear buds.
"Always nice talking to you, Max."
Rachel pats my back and walks towards her seat.
Fucking bitch!
I blast some Halsey as I try to get some shut eye before Jefferson comes in and starts his "new year, new you" speech.

"Starting the new school year sleeping. Why doesn't this surprise me?"
This voice makes me smile.
As I happily shut off my music, I look up at Kate.
"Hey, where were you? I expected you to be the first one here," I say as I take out my ear buds.
Kate takes a chair and sits next to me. Right at that moment, Chloe barges in and looks at my direction. She also takes a chair and joins me and Kate.
"Yeah... I sorta got into trouble with Samuel."
Kate starts explaining how she was rushing to get to class in time and she accidentally knocked over Samuel's paint bucket.

"You should've seen his face. He was angry, but he stayed calm and let me go with just a 'don't run in the halls" warning. My shoes are a mess though."
Kate shows off her shoes. Me and Chloe totally lose it when we see even her feet were soaked with paint. I can see Rachel giving me sneaky deathstares from the other side of the room.
Chloe notices Rachel and leaves to chat up with her. Mister Jefferson walks in and tells Chloe to sit next to Courtney. I feel sorry for Chloe but I'm also relieved she didn't sit next to Rachel.

I'm pretty sure Chloe had a crush on Rachel, the way she talks about her makes me feel so bad about myself, and I think Rachel knows I'm crushing on Chloe.
Maybe that's why she keeps looking at me like she's about to shoot me. No matter what happens I need to keep these feelings to myself. I can't tell Chloe about any of this. Not about my crush on her or the fact I secretly hate Rachel.
It hurts that I can't share these feelings with anyone. Maybe I should talk to Kate about this.
She's such a great friend maybe she can somehow help me or atleast make me feel a bit better.

Jefferson starts speaking and I zone off into my own little world again.